2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: todays project  (Read 2582 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
todays project
« on: February 02, 2018, 00:19:24 »
After a month or so of planning I reworked my sump room today.  Thanks to topekoms (lee) for the 75 gallon tank donation I was able to replace a rubbermaid tub and 55 gallon tank into a chambered 75 gallon tank.  I had a smaller return pump with 3 different power heads feeding different reactors with my old setup.  I picked up a killer pump from viggen and built a water manifold from which I was able to run everything off just the one pump and clean up my system.  Took most all day to switch over and I still need to do some wiring cleanup buy overall I am happy with it.  Now if I dont get any leaks all will be well.
Jeff

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
Re: todays project
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2018, 09:23:21 »
I see you carved out a hole in the lid of your skimmer cup (in the center of the "W") for an air line.  What is that line for?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2018, 11:15:46 »
I see you carved out a hole in the lid of your skimmer cup (in the center of the "W") for an air line.  What is that line for?

lanthanum chloride drip for phosphate control

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2018, 11:17:15 »
ummmmmmmm......huh?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2018, 11:25:09 »
ummmmmmmm......huh?

LaCl3 is used to remove phosphate from the water column, this is what a lot of people do including myself to control excess phosphates. you might know it as phosphate rx for $20 a tiny bottle. LaCL3 is sold at swimming pool stores as a chemical that you can dose to your tank in the skimmer. When the LaCl3 hits water it binds to the phosphate particles and the skimmer then removes the solids (flocculant) it creates.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2018, 11:40:57 »
I see..............I use GFO for the phosphate issue.
Why the need for this rather than a GFO set up?  two different ways to get to the same result?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2018, 11:43:43 »
I see..............I use GFO for the phosphate issue.
Why the need for this rather than a GFO set up?  two different ways to get to the same result?

a lot cheaper in the long run, you can target an exact number for your phosphate too, rather than bottoming it out to 0 with GFO sometimes.

LaCl3 can be toxic to some tangs and sometimes corals ingest it and that can hurt them as well, most people drip into skimmer or a 5 micron filter sock.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2018, 12:08:05 »
thanks for the info....sorry to high jack thread

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2018, 13:31:29 »
LaCl3 is used to remove phosphate from the water column, this is what a lot of people do including myself to control excess phosphates. you might know it as phosphate rx for $20 a tiny bottle. LaCL3 is sold at swimming pool stores as a chemical that you can dose to your tank in the skimmer. When the LaCl3 hits water it binds to the phosphate particles and the skimmer then removes the solids (flocculant) it creates.
Well said,  I use my dosing pump and dose the lanthanum daily.  Lanthanum costs about $25 for a bottle that will last for years vs the huge costs of gfo.  Ive been using it for years dosing into the bottom of my skimmer.  Most people dose it into a filter sock to catch the precipitate which is a pain so I have been dosing it into my skimmer and let the skimmer bubble out the precipitate.  It is sold as seaclear phosphate remover.
Jeff

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2018, 13:35:41 »
definitely interesting alternative.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2018, 13:45:34 »
Well said,  I use my dosing pump and dose the lanthanum daily.  Lanthanum costs about $25 for a bottle that will last for years vs the huge costs of gfo.  Ive been using it for years dosing into the bottom of my skimmer.  Most people dose it into a filter sock to catch the precipitate which is a pain so I have been dosing it into my skimmer and let the skimmer bubble out the precipitate.  It is sold as seaclear phosphate remover.
Jeff

I do the same, but with a gravity feed bag (kangroo feeder), do you dilute yours before dosing? I do 1ml per 1000ml rodi water, usually lowers po4 by .03-.05 ppm. I do sea clear also

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2018, 13:48:26 »
I do the same, but with a gravity feed bag (kangroo feeder), do you dilute yours before dosing? I do 1ml per 1000ml rodi water, usually lowers po4 by .03-.05 ppm. I do sea clear also
I make up 1/2 gallon at a time and add 5ml of lanthanum.
Jeff

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2018, 14:38:12 »
I make up 1/2 gallon at a time and add 5ml of lanthanum.
Jeff

your strength is a little higher than mine then, how much do you do in a day?