2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Can we talk copper  (Read 2944 times)

Offline erky

• Adult
Can we talk copper
« on: February 11, 2018, 20:49:49 »
I thought I had a dead tang, but it has been found, was super lethargic and listing to one side, it was very colorful though.  I was able to get the fish out of the tank and i set it up in a 2 gal tank i had just to figure out what i should do. From there i set up a 30 gal tank i had sitting around then, I went and got some copper to try and help the fish out. this is the first time i have ever used copper to treat any fish, so my questions are how long should i keep this fish in (if it survives) what is the process to get it off copper and move it to the display again? I have a copper test kid coming as it wasnt something i had on hand, so i dosed the copper to the directions 5ml per 4 gallons. What is a therapeutic level of copper for a fish? what do i need to know that you know and i dont (lol).

Offline JMM

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Re: Can we talk copper
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 22:29:56 »
Certainly others will respond but I would really look at all treatments before going full bore with copper. What ailment are you treating? Are you bringing the copper up at a gradual pace? Is the fish eating at all? Hope things go well for you in this endeavor.
Jim

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 22:43:42 »
Copper is not theraputic, it is really quite stressful to some fish.  It is really only useful for some parasites.

Other than the fish not being able to stay vertical, is there anything else you notice.

Marks on the fish. Bumps or spots,  Is the breathing labored?

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 08:14:36 »

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 08:16:32 »
Copper is not theraputic, it is really quite stressful to some fish.  It is really only useful for some parasites.

Other than the fish not being able to stay vertical, is there anything else you notice.

Marks on the fish. Bumps or spots,  Is the breathing labored?

breathing seems moderate, it isnt gasping but it is not normal either. There is a small bit of scales on the left side of the fish, that look like it was rubbing on a rock, or they are inflamed.

The fish was alive this morning when i checked on it, so thats a good sign

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 10:32:43 »
Hippos are funny fish, they like to wedge themselves in rocks.  Mine would sleep horizontal under a rock at night.   They can also change the color of the black bars.  Mine gets kinda gray when he gets mad at the powder blue tang in my tank.

His fins look a little damaged....has he been fighting?  That would explain the abrasions too.  Perhaps just some quarantine, but I'm not sure copper is warranted. 

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 10:36:58 »
Hippos are funny fish, they like to wedge themselves in rocks.  Mine would sleep horizontal under a rock at night.   They can also change the color of the black bars.  Mine gets kinda gray when he gets mad at the powder blue tang in my tank.

His fins look a little damaged....has he been fighting?  That would explain the abrasions too.  Perhaps just some quarantine, but I'm not sure copper is warranted.

ive had this fish for 2+ years, and i agree they are a funny fish, but something was definitely wrong with it. I do not think it had been fighting with anyone else in the tank. They have all coexisted for 2+ years together without any issues before.

Offline zachegg

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 16:31:09 »
I think quarantine and observe is the best thing to start with. Give him a place to hide like some large PVC fittings but you don't want to use rock if you're going to treat with cooper later. I treated a hippo tang and a Tomini tang I thought had ich and it is stressful. Other than the spots that were on them they were acting normally but if yours is already stressed it may kill it. With that being said I wouldn't treat it unless you can positively identify it has a parasite that cooper is needed. In my case the cooper didn't work because my fish had flukes which is much easier to treat and way less stressful. Hopefully he keeps eating. Good luck.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 19:25:41 »
copper is already in the water, not removing now. fish is still lethargic, but its color is looking great. I do not think it has eaten in a few days though, been trying but no luck.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2018, 10:39:54 »
fish looked very poor yesterday so i went to Monfort Aquarium and talked with them, they suggested API erythromycin. I dosed it and the fish was looking a lot better this morning, planning on checking on it today at lunch and redosing the erythro per the directions. Might actually pull this one through.

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2018, 15:01:05 »
Sounds like a bacterial infection then, if I remember my pharmas correctly. I believe that's a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2018, 15:13:16 »
Sounds like a bacterial infection then, if I remember my pharmas correctly. I believe that's a broad spectrum antibiotic.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

correct

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2018, 11:15:35 »
well the fish is still acting strange, its color is perfect, but still wanting to fall over on its side. Did a water change yesterday on the hospital tank and added more antibiotics, not sure what to do after this process if nothing helps... I have not seen the fish eat, but do feed it, might be the beginning of the end for it.