2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Chemistry...  (Read 3020 times)

MechanicalEngineer

Chemistry...
« on: April 11, 2008, 16:31:49 »
I've been testing my alk, ca, and ph about 3 times per day.  I can literally watch the alk and ca drop throughout the day.  I've been dosing 3 tbsp. of the 2-part solution stuff per day.  The article I read, the guy was dosing that amount on his 50g.  I started with 1 tbsp, and worked up to 3.

My alk drops during the day from about 10.2 dkh to about 8.5 dkh (natural seawater is about 8 dkh).  I like to keep my alk at about 10 dkh.  My ca drops about 50 ppm per day from 450 ppm to 400 ppm. 

Until I went on vacation, my parameters were all stable, and I didn't have to dose anything.  My weekly 10% water changes accounted for all nutrient uptake.  I was gone one week, and my system has completely changed.  What happened???  I know I have a lot more stony corals than I used to, but this drastic? 

I will say, on a couple of the corals, I'm literally watching them grow now.  It's nuts! 

Offline verper

Re: Chemistry...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008, 16:49:54 »
I know I have a lot more stony corals than I used to, but this drastic? 

I will say, on a couple of the corals, I'm literally watching them grow now. 

Yes, and you answered your own question.  If they are growing, they are using alk and calc.  The alk dropping can be a problem with a small system or a large system with a lot of coral.

Do you use kalkwasser?  It may be time to slow drip it 24/7. 

slandis3

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 17:16:04 »
Do you have an auto top off? If so you could build a kalk reactor and run it through that.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 17:41:29 »
I figured the corals were just using it up, but it was just so unsettling that it was being used up *that* fast.  I figured I would have more of a warning before I had to start dosing.

I have tried kalk, but I couldn't ever get the right dosing on it.  If I'm using 2 part solution, I shouldn't have to use kalk, right?  I'm rather liking my 2-part.  It's pretty dummy-proof.   :D

Offline verper

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008, 17:47:02 »
I like the 2-part also.  Its all about the number of coral and your water volume.  Your water will only hold so much alk/calc and still be in the right range.  I'd bet the new MH's are also causing a usage increase.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008, 21:39:53 »
It's time for a dosing pump. Set it up. Check your levels about every 4 weeks after you get it set and adjust as needed. I mix up 3 gallons at a time and run through it in about 2 months, but I agree I love the 2-part.

Here is the pump I have.

http://www.reefdosingpumps.com/products/sentry.html

It works great.  It's basically a med grade dosing pump that has a feature or two disabled and new lable thrown on.  Doses over the entire day so my levels never fluctuate and my ph doesn't drop at night. Keep an eye out on RC for a used one or call that company direct and see if they have any used ones to sell.

Offline hdyoung

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 11:24:54 »
That seems like a really high calcium use rate.

What's your ph? There might be something else going on, like precipitation. You might want to read this:

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-04/rhf/feature/index.php

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008, 20:32:17 »
PH is 8.2, pretty steady.  I think I'm going to pick up a new PH test kit since I just have a cheapy API one.  I just bought a magnesium kit, so we'll see how that does too.