2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Phosphate Levels  (Read 2657 times)

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
Phosphate Levels
« on: June 04, 2008, 16:39:29 »
So, those of you who were at the last meeting know that my phosphates were pretty high in my tank (0.4 something I believe, with Scott's photometer). I've been doing 5 gal H2O changes almost every day, and running Kent's Phosphate Sponge (changing it out every day). I also got rid of my sun coral in an effort to not have to feed my tank as much.

I tested my tank today with a Salifert kit numerous times, and it comes up 0 every time. The water in the vial is clear as can be. RO water is also testing 0 with that kit. I tested both my tank and RO water with my Red Sea kit, and they're both coming up 0.1ppm. I've had the Red Sea kit for awhile, but I can't seem to find an expiration date on it.

I'm just wondering if there's any sort of test you can do to see if you're PO4 kit is very accurate. You know like how you add baking soda to water, and you can test your alk kit against that. I tried testing my tap water too, just for the heck of it, and I got the same readings. 0 on Salifert and 0.1 with Red Sea.

Anyways, I know test kits aren't always accurate because the phosphate could be used up as fast as it produced and all of that. I was atleast hoping it could show me if my PO4 levels were lowering or not. I'd really like to believe the Salifert kit since I think they're a pretty reputable company, and I want my phosphates to be at 0 like Salifert says they are, sooo.... Does anyone have any experience with kits and get accurate results, or any suggestions?

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Phosphate Levels
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 16:58:58 »
Photometer is the only thing I know that will test with that sort of accuracy and precision.  My rule of thumb is...if the rocks have a greenish instead of a grayish appearance, it's time to change out the phosphate media (a lot cheaper).

Considering you just got your skimmer working efficiently...and you're now using a phosphate absorbing media...give it time.  Those will generally work at lowering levels fast...sometimes too fast.  Keep in mind, your rocks may have excess nutrients leaching out. 

What are you feeding (I forget).  Certain foods like Cyclopeeze sometimes will create higher phosphate levels.

Offline verper

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 17:03:56 »
That's why I bought the Phosphate Photometer.  Everything I've read said that once you get down around 0.1, most test kits aren't very accurate.  And even at 0.1, your coral will not be affected by some phosphate.  There is even a thought process running around that says you want just a little phosphate, that 0.0 is as bad as .4 for coral growth.  Not sure I believe it or not.  I wouldn't worry about your levels right now as long as both test kits are at 0.1 or less.  I can bring the photometer to the meeting and test your water again if you'd like.  

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 17:36:06 »
Well, that makes me feel a little better about my phosphates then. I'm not as concerned as I was. There's probably no need for you to bring your photometer again then.

I was alternating cyclop eeze and enriched mysis for my sun coral. I'm pretty sure that's probably where my high phosphate levels were coming from. Considering I just got rid of it yesterday, I'll continue changing the phosphate media often and wait it out like Nikki said.

On another note, I believe I may be seeing what appear to be dinoflagellates on one of the newer pieces of rock. I'm not sure if it may just be some sort of little cycle on the rock since I just added that piece awhile ago, but I have noticed some oxygen bubbles in the algae, so that leads me to believe it may be dinos. I'm debating rasing my ph and all of that stuff that they suggest doing for dinoflagellates. Oh well, perhaps this is another topic for a new thread. I'm sure I'll have a few more questions about it.