2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Phosphate reactor????  (Read 3843 times)

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
Phosphate reactor????
« on: June 18, 2008, 14:12:17 »
What is everybody's opinion on a phosphate reactor for green hair algae?  I have had a out break recently for 3-4 months, I have started to up my water changes to 2-3 a week.  My levels are at .5 ish.  I have used phosguard in a pouch with not much success.

Here is my tank specs:
120 gal
sump filter
koralia 4 powerhead with another one on order
Berlin classic protein skimmer
75# live rock
Power compact 4x65 (run 8 hrs/day)
All other parameters are normal

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
Re: Phosphate reactor????
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2008, 14:41:48 »
I say go for it if you have the space and everything for it. Have you figured out the source of your phosphates? i.e. overfeeding, source water? Are you using RO/DI water?

Wish I could help you out more, but I don't have experience with a phosphate reactor...just high phosphates. Fortunately I was able to get rid of mine by drastically cutting back on feeding, and running phosphate media in my sump along with a lot of water changes.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2008, 15:21:36 »
I would add more flow definitely. Also, are you using RO/DI? If not you may be getting the phos and other nutrients for the algae from your water changes.  Beyond that you may want to try a macro algae fuge and some lettuce nudis.

slandis3

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 15:22:36 »
How old are your lights? When i ran pc's the lights would start to get old i would have an algea outbreak.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2008, 16:47:53 »
I have a phosban reactor and pump I would be willing to sell or trade for SPS frags  ;)   

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2008, 17:03:41 »
Ugh, sounds like my problem.  I had a HORRIBLE outbreak.  Here's how I won:

RO/DI filter
Added a skimmer (which you've already done)
Phosphate reactor (absolutely great in my opinion)
Remote Deep Sand Bed
Reverse Photoperiod
New Lights
Added more macroalgae in the refuge

I think I have a pretty detailed thread if you look back a year or so.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2008, 21:20:56 »
I do use RO/DI but i am on well water.  The phosphates are .1 coming from my RO unit.  I just last month bought all new membranes.  I do have a macro sump with some cheato and 1 mangrove and 3-4 inch sand bed.  My PC's are also a month old.  I have been feeding about every other day unless the fish look sad (haha).  I do the reverse ligth cycle.

Riderc82 - how much for your set up?

Thanks guys and ladies!!!

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008, 02:10:36 »
You might want to think about adding a kalk reactor. I run one on my tank and my phosphates are 0. Kalk helps precipate (spelling?) the phosphates out of the water.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008, 17:58:48 »
Is your filter actually RO/DI or is it just RO? I dont think you should be getting PO4 out of an RO/DI filter.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008, 20:11:08 »
Do you have a TDS meter?  If so, what is your reading?

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2008, 23:52:57 »
It is RO/DI , TDS is in the 80's

Offline UDJustin

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008, 11:41:14 »
wow somethings wrong there
If you didn't know I'm kind of a big deal...

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008, 16:30:30 »
Yeah, that's too high.  How long has it been since you've replaced your filters and membrane? 

I would correct the source of your phosphates...and then if you're still having problems, then try to correct with phosphate media.  I mean, you can use the phosphate media to help battle the phosphates already in the tank, but you'll just keep adding more every time you top off with water.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008, 16:49:19 »
Sounds like you need to change your DI media and check your RO membrane.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2008, 00:15:04 »
I just changed the membranes a month ago.  They were in the 200's

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2008, 08:50:29 »
When was the last time you changed the DI media? It is not just a simple filter cartridge. It is usually in a "powder" (for lack of a better term) form.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #16 on: June 21, 2008, 09:04:09 »
I think it's also important to know when you changed your carbon & sediment filters as well.  If those are not changed regularly, the chlorine in the water can damage the membrane.

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: June 21, 2008, 14:00:28 »
I have not changed the DI media.  When I spoke with Joel he stated I did not need to change.  Maybe now the new membranes ( one month old)have not done the job I may need to change it. 

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #18 on: June 21, 2008, 14:09:08 »
If you're getting as high of a TDS as you say you are, it's time to change something.  Sediment and carbon filters should be changed approximately every 6 months depending on local water quality and usage.  DI resin I think most people get a little longer on it...not 100% sure.  Membranes usually have over a year's life...I've heard varying things.  If you go back a few threads, there's been several about RO/DI systems. 

Like I said earlier, membranes shouldn't have to be changed often at all...unless they've been damaged by chlorine.

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #19 on: June 22, 2008, 10:06:50 »
The DI resin's life will vary based on the TDS levels coming out of the RO membrane and how much of the resin you have in the DI portion.

If you are making a lot of water, I doubt the resin would last 6 months. To test the DI, take a TDS reading of the water just before it enters the DI and then after it exits. If there is no change or a very small change then it is time to change the resin.