2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Red Sea Coral Pro?  (Read 3831 times)

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
Red Sea Coral Pro?
« on: July 06, 2008, 23:07:13 »
Is anyone using the Red Sea Coral Pro salt?  I just ordered a bucket so hopefully its pretty decent.  I have been using Reef Crystals for the last year or so but it seems like I can never get my calcium above 400.

Offline xXTheWendigoXx

• Adult
Re: Red Sea Coral Pro?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2008, 00:19:12 »
I've never used it but I know the companies web page is flagged by Google as "May Harm Your Computer." Weirds me out enough that I've never tried it. I know people in Michigan that have used it without any problems or complaints so it can't be all that bad.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2008, 06:38:08 »
I use it whenever some other brand isn't on sale.   ;D  To be honest, I liked it...calcium levels were always right on.  I never had a problem with any other levels to my knowledge either with it.  But, then again, I don't have problems with Reef Crystals either. 

mrs. justcoral

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2008, 09:10:42 »
Scott loves it, thats all we use and sell here at JustCoral.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 09:46:41 »
It's all I use (unless I run out and have to wait to get some then I'll use pretty much whatever). My reasons are 1) CA is almost always higher than when I use RC. 2) It doesn't dirty up my mix tank as fast so I don't have to clean it as often and I'm pretty lazy. and 3) Those little buckets that the 50gallon mix comes in are great to have around.

Joe

NORTHDIXIEREEF

« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2008, 15:08:37 »
 CORAL PRO IS ALL I USE IN MY SHOP IN THE CORAL TANKS. I HAVE ALWAYS BEEN HAPPY WITH THE NUMBERS IT GIVES ME AND KEEPS THE TANKS AT.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 19:15:51 »
I've been using Reef Crystals for about nine months now, I'm glad there are so many people using it.  I have no complaints with Reef Crystals but I think it's time to give something else a try.  Thanks for everyone's replies.

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008, 15:42:24 »
I got hooked on this stuff after getting free buckets at the Macna event last year. That was some marketing campaign, it worked. I think it mixes cleaner and I think my tank is more clear using it versus reef crystals or marine environment. The marine environment has the best calcium numbers but it is a 2 part mix and I like the buckets.
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2008, 17:05:44 »
My reef water quality is super clear as is with just using Instant Ocean Salt but I am willing to give Red Sea Coral Pro Salt a try for a few months to verify if the elevated calcium levels added to the Salt and other refined minerals make any difference in my system. 

I have been reluctant to change salt mixes for years because my GEN-X calcium reactor media does such a great job of adding calcium & carbonate, along with other essential trace elements to my system on a daily basis.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2008, 20:31:12 »
I just did my first 5 gallon weekly water change with the RSCP, it seems to dissolve fast.  I guess over the next couple months I'll have to see how well it works, maybe next week I'll do a ten gallon water change.

slandis3

« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 22:21:48 »
hum, sounds like the club needs a power buy on Red Sea Coral Pro salt. ;)

mash35231

« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2008, 03:50:25 »
 I've been using Red Sea Salt for 6 months and nothing detrimental has happened. I think it's kind of neat that it comes right out of the Red Sea.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:48:23 »
Attached a link below with an analysis of various salt water mixes available, including Red Sea Coral Pro Salt from by AquariumWaterTesting.com. Very interesting results.

http://aquariumwatertesting.com/AWT_Salt_Analysis_0208.pdf

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2008, 12:57:35 »
What is it's cost as compared to IO?

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2008, 19:03:16 »
On Drs website a 175 gallon bucket of RSCP is $40.99 and it comes with a t-shirt.  Instant Ocean is $29.99 for a 160 gallon bucket.  I heard Joel has RSCP but I forgot to look when I was there the other day.

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2008, 10:11:39 »
On Drs website a 175 gallon bucket of RSCP is $40.99 and it comes with a t-shirt.  Instant Ocean is $29.99 for a 160 gallon bucket.  I heard Joel has RSCP but I forgot to look when I was there the other day.

One thing you need to look at though is if you mix to 1.025+ you will use less CP than IO.  The 55Gallon bucket of CP mixes to 1.026 in 50 gallons of water while the 50Gallon bag of IO mixes to 1.019-1.020 in 50 gallons of water so you end of needing more than the 50G bag, closer to 1.3 bags.  At least that has been my experience. When I actually sat down and figured it out using CP vs reef crystals it came out to about $2 more per 50G water change for me to use CP. The extra calcium and cleaner change drum is worth it to me. Please note though that I buy in bulk so I may be paying less than someone buying just one bucket.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2008, 16:29:17 »
It looks like we have another conservative on this board  ;D    This topic is starting to sound like the topic I posted a couple of months ago about energy savings using electronic ballast.  I was thinking the same thing about what the salts mix to.