2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Mixing Saltwater  (Read 2145 times)

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
Mixing Saltwater
« on: August 17, 2008, 21:46:40 »
How is everyone mixing there saltwater these days?  I have been just mixing 5-10 gallons in a rubbermaid container and get it up to temp and checking the salinity and call it a day.  It seems like the more I read people are going above and beyond what I am doing.  Does everyone make sure there levels match their displays perimeters (calcium etc.....)?  The reason I'm asking is because I stopped using two part and now I am just dosing limewater and my calcium levels are low but it doesn't seem like I should have a big demand for calcium except for my coralline algae and couple of SPS frags.  I'm thinking maybe my the calcium is dissipating.  Any ideas?

Offline Joel

• Adult
Re: Mixing Saltwater
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2008, 08:04:59 »
I use ro / di water drawn off a cold supply line only. I agitate it with a large power head to drive off any Co2. Then I add ph & alk adjuster to raise the ro/di waters ph & alk value th where I want it. I then add the salt mix and let it agitate over night and adjust it as needed.

Joel

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2008, 11:18:01 »
I think I pretty much mix mine the same way. RO/DI water that I store in 33 gal garbage cans. Aerate it overnight with powerhead and heater, add salt the next day, let it mix for a day, then adjust as needed. I usually have to add calcium, and I used to add buffer, but I realized if I aerated the water over night before adding salt, the alkalinity was usually up where I wanted it to be after adding the salt. Does that make sense? I think it has something to do with the excess CO2 like Joel said, or I just had a really crappy batch of salt... I just switched salt brands, so I'm hoping I won't have to add calcium either. I mix up enough to last me for like 2-3 weeks of water changes, but I have a little tank.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2008, 12:28:00 »
I keep things very simple. Mix salt in a 33 gallon rubbermaid tub using a Mag 5 pump and RO/DI water. I do weekly 30 gallon water changes.