2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lazylivin's 55 gallon Reef  (Read 19192 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Lazylivin's 55 gallon Reef
« on: October 14, 2008, 00:41:19 »
Current System is a standard off the shelf 55gallon from jacks. Custom Stand and Canopy.
Lighting: (2) 250w 20k MH (Coralvue)
Filter: Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer and Fiji Live Rock
Sump and Refigum under the tank.

All of the SPS came from TheAquaDen and QuickSilver and the LPS from LFS's.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
Re: Lazylivin's 55 gallon Reef
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 01:22:48 »
I really like your aquascape, not all crowded but plenty of it in there.

I also like the stand and canopy.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 01:25:45 »
Thanks UD Flyer appreciate the feedback
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 23:11:12 by Lazylivin »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 00:37:48 »
I have been wanting a controller for some time now and finally broke down and bought one. Went with the Reefkeeper 2. This was one of the two in my price range. The other option was a AC jr. The AC jr. has quite a few more features then the RK2 and is also cheaper then the RK2 but the deciding factor for me was being able to flush mount it in the aquarium hood. The ACjr probes connect to the head unit so length of cords would have been a issue going all the way to the sump and the connectors would not have allowed the clean flush mount look. Here is a pick after installation.

RK2 on the right side of the hood

bigray

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 00:45:15 »
Nice looking tank. I think we met at NDR the other day. Always good to put a face with a name.

quicksilver

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:04:03 »
Wow my old corals are looking great I knew I found a good home with you. Keep up that good work. ;D

Offline Grunk08

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 16:59:35 »
What kind of overflow box are you using? I'm getting ready to buy one but not sure yet what to get.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 20:11:54 »
Beautiful tank! I'd like to get the RK2 for my tank, keep us posted on how it works out for you.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 21:18:19 »
Thanks for the nice comments.

Nice looking tank. I think we met at NDR the other day. Always good to put a face with a name.
That is the nice thing about NDR, every time I go there I meet someone from Ohio Reef.

What kind of overflow box are you using? I'm getting ready to buy one but not sure yet what to get.
I am using the old U-Tube Siphon Style. It is limited on the amount of flow it can handle and is big and bulky. There are a few newer styles out now but I have not looked into them. I think drilling is the way to go if tank is not already setup but not sure if that style of water removal removes the white line layer on top of the water.

Beautiful tank! I'd like to get the RK2 for my tank, keep us posted on how it works out for you.

So far I really like it. It is nice to see PH and temperature at a glance. I also like standby mode which turns off configured devices while you feed. However the RK2 is a far second to the ACjr as far as functionality goes.

Wow my old corals are looking great I knew I found a good home with you. Keep up that good work. ;D

Thanks Mike, I love all the corals I got from you

quicksilver

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 13:12:48 »
just as long as they bring you as much joy as they did for me good luck in the future. ;)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
ATO Installation
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 23:27:15 »
About a month back I purchased and installed the Level-Loc auto top off unit. It is a fantasic little unit with lots of safety measures built in. I would highly recommend it.

It installs in a couple of minutes if you have your RO/DI unit output running to your tank. All you have to do is supply it power and plug in the water line. It uses a Float Value and Solenoid. The purpose of the solenoid and float switch combination is to provide safety backup.  In the event of a float valve failure the switch will sense the rising water and the solenoid will close. I also added a third and forth safety measure which was hook it to my Reef Keeper 2 which only turns on power to the unit twice a day for 30 minutes each. Lastly was to add a water alarm that is actually in the sump about two inches above the float valve. So all 4 things would have to fail before there was a issue. Much less likely then before when I would turn on the water and have to remember to turn it off an hour later. I forgot to do that a couple of times in the past which is why I bought this. Here is a picture of it in the sump.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 23:50:24 »
Where did the frogspawn go that was in the second picture in the right hand side of the tank that thing looks huge.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 00:03:35 »
It was good size, I fragged it off to Ohio Reef members. However I have about six little baby's that have come out of the live rock since I got rid of it.. They are about a 1/4" each. I keep covering them up with a piece of rock whenever I see them but they keep popping back up in other places. Did not know they could spawn like that.

Where did the frogspawn go that was in the second picture in the right hand side of the tank that thing looks huge.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 00:17:07 »
I remember seeing them for sale now.  I have one that now has about 30 heads but for some reason it decided to stop expanding fully.  At one time it was my favorite coral but then again I think every coral I have was a favorite at one time or another.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 00:26:15 »
I remember seeing them for sale now.  I have one that now has about 30 heads but for some reason it decided to stop expanding fully.  At one time it was my favorite coral but then again I think every coral I have was a favorite at one time or another.

Check this one out.

Midwest Express

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 01:25:38 »
That is massive... any idea how long it too that colony to grow?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 01:33:12 »
That is massive... any idea how long it too that colony to grow?

17 years

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 16:39:06 »
Over the past couple of months the conversion from LPS to SPS has been going well. I have had some problems with PH and Alkalinity but slowly making changes in the right direction from everyones help and feedback. Here are some pictures of the tank today after I got some a SPS colony and Acans from NDR.

From NDR today..Right one is My favorite piece in the tank.

Left pink one from Quicksilver and right one from NDR

Bonsia Tricolor Acro from YZREEF (2nd favorite piece in tank). It has much brighter purple then picture shows with green polyps but still a good picture.

Some Rics, collecting in hopes that someday I can do a Ric and Seahorse tank

Some more pics

Full Tank Shot

Midwest Express

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 19:27:26 »
Wow... lookin good.  A lot different lookin then when I was over for the xenia frag!  Can't wait to see it when it is grown out!  That yellow sps from your first pic is sweet.  First dibs on a frag when it matures enough!  ;D

apelaston

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 19:55:58 »
U kill me. i was going to get those acans. it seems we have the same tastes! now if i can get my tank as cool as urs!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 21:29:42 »
Very Nice!

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 19:33:05 »
  looking real good!   ;)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 01:34:13 »
Thank you for the great feedback. It is really nice to have a place to post this stuff and share experiences, My wife and kids are not into it so much so only you guys can appreciate it.

This weekend I added a frag tank. Plumed it into the main tanks sump to add volume to the system and less stress/shock to new frags. First time I ever did any pluming work but got tips from club members and Dodd let me use his hole saw. Heres some pictures.

Plumed through wall to main system

DIY Stand Pipe and return. Brand New defective Koralina that blows the cover off when you turn it on. :crybaby I will exchange it this week. ^-^

And a couple of frags

apelaston

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 01:43:30 »
Looking good! i am goin to hit u up to make my new canopy ok? i was goimg to but cant take the cold garage. . .bbbrrr...lemme know if you are up to it and we can work something out.

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 09:07:09 »
ya looking good man , nice and clean not a clutter

Midwest Express

« Reply #25 on: December 01, 2008, 09:19:29 »
Great looking setup!  Clean looking too.

Great job!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #26 on: December 19, 2008, 00:00:10 »
Well the Plexi frag racks did not work out. It kept trapping micro bubbles underneath so I pulled them out. Went old school with the egg crate and wire tires. Here is some shots of the frag/grow out tank.

Heres a couple of frags close up.

Also pulled out some of the rock in the center of the main tank to open it up and make more room for growth.

FTS

Right Side

Left Side

apelaston

« Reply #27 on: December 19, 2008, 00:06:20 »
Wow looks like u took out a lot of rock but it looks good . let me know when my hyndophora, pink cap, and radioactive dragon eye frags are ready....maybe we can meet up when the ora order comes in.

MITCH

« Reply #28 on: December 19, 2008, 00:07:22 »
Very nice, clean

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2008, 00:11:04 »
Wow looks like u took out a lot of rock but it looks good . let me know when my hyndophora, pink cap, and radioactive dragon eye frags are ready....maybe we can meet up when the ora order comes in.

You can get them when ever you are out this way next.  Do you know when the ORA order is coming in? I was not sure if he was going to order now or wait until next year.

Very nice, clean
Thanks Mitch!

apelaston

« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2008, 00:14:21 »
well if it doesnt get ordered i will be that way the wednesday b4 xmas and then the day after xmas.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2008, 00:19:14 »
Okay, I am home both days

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #32 on: December 19, 2008, 03:19:54 »
Dig the tank  ;D

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2008, 08:39:55 »
One of the best 55s I've ever seen. Takes mad skills to aquascape a 55. It has a difficult footprint.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2008, 12:19:05 »
The comments are very much appreciated. The rock is defintley a challenge and a back breaker. Had to glue some of it together.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2008, 02:55:04 »
Couple of new Corals today from the NDR order.... Merry Christmas to me ;)

Left - Red Planet Table
Center - Pearlbeery
Right - Bellina

Pearlbeery

apelaston

« Reply #36 on: December 25, 2008, 02:58:12 »
Doh. i hate when u beat me to the deliveries! great pieces! they should add a nice contrast to what u already have in ur tank.

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2008, 10:48:26 »
I agree.  Most of your stuff seems orange and red, should be a very nice contrast.   :)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #38 on: December 25, 2008, 13:26:47 »
Thank you, I think most of my SPS are somewhat pale and faded compared to a lot of others I have seen. Still learning how to care for them. Could be in part related to chronically low PH and high Alkalinity. PH range is 7.96 end of Light Cycle - 7.70 Start of Light Cycle. Even if I mix a batch of fresh saltwater it is at 8.1 and by end of week still sitting in bucket not used just aerated and heated it is down to 7.75. ughhh.... We will see what spring brings hopefully higher PH. Reading about ozone to see if that is a potential solution as well.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 01:10:46 by Lazylivin »

apelaston

« Reply #39 on: December 25, 2008, 14:05:52 »
hey pictures look a lot better on this laptop than my cell phone...WOOOHOOOO
How is Sara's pink dell?? lucky.....

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2008, 21:02:24 »
Thank you, I think most of my SPS are somewhat pale and faded compared to a lot of others I have seen. Still learning how to care for them. Could be in part related to chronically low PH and high Alkalinity. PH range is 7.96 (end of Light Cycle - 7.70 Start of Light Cycle. Even if I mix a batch of fresh saltwater it is at 8.1 and by end of week still sitting in bucket not used just aerated and heated it is down to 7.75. ughhh.... We will see what spring brings hopefully higher PH. Reading about ozone to see if that is a potential solution as well.

The pH might have something to do with it, but don't you have a 10K bulb as well?  That would add to it, even though they grow faster.  I assumed it was your bulb before I saw these comments.  Your tank does look good besides that, so I'm sure that as soon as you've got it figured out, it'll look amazing.  :)

And man, wish I'd beaten you to the PB's...hehe.

apelaston

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2008, 21:18:39 »
10k bulbs can fade colors?

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2008, 22:18:52 »
Not fade them so much as just influence or draw out colors closer to browns and yellows than blues and purples.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2008, 22:58:23 »
The pH might have something to do with it, but don't you have a 10K bulb as well?  That would add to it, even though they grow faster.  I assumed it was your bulb before I saw these comments.  Your tank does look good besides that, so I'm sure that as soon as you've got it figured out, it'll look amazing.  :)

And man, wish I'd beaten you to the PB's...hehe.

I actually have 2 250w 20k Coralvue's on the main tank and 1 400w radium blue on the grow out tank.
All three of the PB's were very nice but one was a little smaller then the other two. Bummer. I got a red planet instead of the red planet mini and mine was the same size as the mini's so the PB size definitively made up for it. I was very impressed with all three. It will be interesting to see the difference in colors between the three in about a month. All three looked identical regarding color so this could be a test as to what happens with different bulbs and tank parameters. Amy has 10k's with a little actinic supplement. What do you have Revaltion131? I think Nikki and Scott have one about a month old as well.

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2008, 09:44:06 »
I have the same bulb on my display that you do.  It's way to white for a 20K to me, I'm looking at a Helios or XM to replace it in a couple of weeks or so.  I must be seeing things because the light looks very yellow the second page, but much closer to what I'm getting on the first.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:46:25 by Revaltion131 »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2008, 15:04:59 »
I would agree that the Coralvue 20k are whiter then most. I think my pictures are skewing things quite a bit as well. Before I take any pictures I set the White Balance on the camera which removes the blue light. I will take two pictures one with white balance set and one without so you can see the difference.

When I replace the bulbs next going to go with two 12k or 14k and add two t5 blue.

Offline Revaltion131

• Adult
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2008, 18:55:18 »
I bet that would be the difference I am seeing.  So, remove my comments about your colors be effected by a 10K bulb choice, lol.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2008, 00:30:20 »
Thank you, I think most of my SPS are somewhat pale and faded compared to a lot of others I have seen.

Just drop off a few small pieces of your ORA frags and I will show you what they can look like over time  ...just kidding (maybe). Very nice reef!!!!

Offline Arcade_Guy

• Juvenile
  • Centipede
« Reply #48 on: January 09, 2009, 04:55:29 »
very very nice tank man.

like you could win some awards or somethin lol

I can only hope that one day my 55 is as ultra sweet as yours. Very clean, and awesome aquascaping.

55 Gallon Reef - Hamilton, OH 45013

Arnold shares his deepest feelings

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #49 on: January 21, 2009, 23:14:32 »
very very nice tank man.

like you could win some awards or somethin lol

I can only hope that one day my 55 is as ultra sweet as yours. Very clean, and awesome aquascaping.

Thank you Arcade Guy, you have a nice tank as well and yours will be there soon at the rate your going. I think the same thing when I see AquaVista's, his tank is off the hook.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #50 on: January 25, 2009, 03:07:30 »
Here's a few new pic's of some SPS in my tank. Hope to get them mounted in there permanent spots on the rock soon.

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #51 on: January 25, 2009, 03:11:13 »
Nice to see you moving some more stuff in it. It all looks nice and super healthy

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
« Reply #52 on: January 25, 2009, 10:14:15 »
Looks like someone might need to upgrade sometime soon to a bigger tank  :)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #53 on: January 25, 2009, 21:22:40 »
Got most of the corals mounted today. Still see a few more open spots though  ;)

« Last Edit: January 25, 2009, 21:29:58 by Lazylivin »

apelaston

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2009, 23:50:50 »
everything looks great brian! i notice a huge change in your system everytime that i see it! keep up the fabulous work!

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2009, 21:44:42 »
I saw Brian's tank in person today and came away very impressed. Great job!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2009, 22:43:49 »
Thanks Tim, I really enjoyed the visit and appreciated the tips.

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2009, 16:29:08 »
Man it gets more awesome every time I see new pics.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2009, 17:20:20 »
Thanks Jake, I have some more pictures I will be uploading soon. Getting a little better playing with the camera settings to get better pictures.

Man it gets more awesome every time I see new pics.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2009, 01:06:43 »

Offline JSLeedy

• Adult
  • 240 Gallon Tank with 125 refugium
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2009, 01:09:38 »
Very nice.  I like the 800x600.
Dayton,Ohio

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2009, 02:19:26 »
Moved a couple of Zoanthids from the frag tank to display tank.

Growth pics of the Slimer....Started off really slow and has taken off this past month.

9/24/08

1/21/09

3/15/09

Some unknown Acro
October 2008

3/15/09

Offline lightningfront

• Adult
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2009, 02:36:02 »
Nice, as always you have an awesome tank. Those bright orange zoas are stunning.
28 NanoCube CF Quad

My tank thread
http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8341

Offline Secondgen

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2009, 03:24:11 »
Just saw this tank Saturday, and I must say it is one of the nicest I have seen. Lazy has a really nice setup and sweet looking frags. Nice guy as well. Thanks again Brian.

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2009, 09:05:37 »
that last pic is a millipora?

Offline Baggerhog

• Adult
« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2009, 11:56:42 »
The tank is amazing. Just curious are you planning on getting the reeflo orca 200?
Andy
Batavia, Ohio
500 Reef with 320 gallon sump setup

Offline Grunk08

• Juvenile
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2009, 21:30:03 »
The pics are nice but I just seen this tank in person and he should charge admission. Thanks again lazy.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2009, 08:21:16 »
Thank you all for the compliments on the tank.  ^-^ blushing

Just curious are you planning on getting the reeflo orca 200?

I do want to get one but right now things are a bit unsteady with my job. My first priority is a better long term quarantine setup for corals and then skimmer.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #68 on: April 03, 2009, 22:51:41 »
Coral Ranch has been getting some really nice mushrooms in lately. The St Thomas is my favorite.

Coco Worm from Coral Ranch

Open Brain. My wife thinks it is ugly, but I like it.

Offline Dstyles

• Got to keep on pushing!
  • Adult
« Reply #69 on: April 07, 2009, 06:07:31 »
B, this setup looks great.  Can not wait until I can achieve something like this. 
One Day At A Time

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #70 on: April 07, 2009, 08:33:58 »

Open Brain. My wife thinks it is ugly, but I like it.

She's crazy. That is awesome. That come from the Coral Ranch too?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #71 on: April 07, 2009, 15:59:04 »
She's crazy. That is awesome. That come from the Coral Ranch too?

I agree....Got it from the Ohio Reef Member down south (well north to you) that had that big tank in his basement. Cant remember who it was.

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
« Reply #72 on: April 08, 2009, 09:33:06 »
was it Jesse
Inspired!!!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #73 on: April 08, 2009, 14:46:47 »
I dont think I would reconize the name even if I heard it. He broke down his tank and sold everything. I picked up a purple tang, blue mushrooms and hammer coral from him as well.

Blown76mav

« Reply #74 on: April 08, 2009, 19:50:55 »
Love this tank, seen it in person a few times and each time it gets better and better.  I wish I could get my pics of my open brain to come out that good.  Mine does the same thing at feeding times, but its blue and pink.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #75 on: May 11, 2009, 21:12:49 »
Love the tank.  Great to see a "small" tank with so much variety.  Couple of questions

1) How did you do the background.  Looks better than just a thin sheet of plastic.

2) What are you using to mount your full colonies to you rockwork?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #76 on: May 11, 2009, 21:32:16 »
Thanks wall_tank, I use super glue gel to mount the corals to rock work. Regarding the background, ummm.... okay I will tell you but take it easy on my guys..... The secret is KYjelly  :D
Rubbed all over the back of the glass, apply the background and use a credit card to work the bubbles from the center out to ends. All the KY will spooge out so have a wet paper towel ready. It makes it look like the back is painted and does not allow any water to get between it and the background. Just like window tint. Also the background wont look dark, it will look like it is inside of the tank.

Love the tank.  Great to see a "small" tank with so much variety.  Couple of questions

1) How did you do the background.  Looks better than just a thin sheet of plastic.

2) What are you using to mount your full colonies to you rockwork?
« Last Edit: May 11, 2009, 22:25:28 by Lazylivin »

Offline jungliztkruger

• Adult
    • my other hobby...fire
« Reply #77 on: May 11, 2009, 22:17:27 »
All the KY will spooge out so have a wet paper towel ready.  "thats what she said"  lol i couldnt help myself. that is actually a pretty informative tip and is appreciated. much easier, cheaper, and less permanent than some other alternatives.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #78 on: May 11, 2009, 22:49:11 »
I use super glue gel to mount the corals to rock work.

Okay, any tips here.  Gluing a semi dried coral to a dry plug is easy enought, but I can never seem to apply glue to a coral, then stick it in the tank.

Regarding the background, ummm.... okay I will tell you but take it easy on my guys..... The secret is KYjelly  :D
Rubbed all over the back of the glass, apply the background and use a credit card to work the bubbles from the center out to ends. All the KY will spooge out so have a wet paper towel ready. It makes it look like the back is painted and does not allow any water to get between it and the background. Just like window tint. Also the background wont look dark, it will look like it is inside of the tank.

That's a cool tip. I bet you have to reapply often.  :o

How easy does it pull back?  being my tank is in the wall, I do most of the tank work from the backside and need to see.  I remove my background often.  But then you can also see from my photo, I get alot of salt down the back too.

Offline lightningfront

• Adult
« Reply #79 on: May 12, 2009, 03:15:35 »
thats a nice trick with the KY.

Ya superglue gel is the way to go. I use it also. Just pull the rock out of the tank you are going to put the coral on apply the glue to the rock and then stick the coral onto it and wait a couple seconds, stick it back into the tank and presto. I even do it with softies like zoos and xenia. I have actually even glued SPS and LPS to rocks under water with the gel without removing the rocks before, wouldn't try it with softies though.
28 NanoCube CF Quad

My tank thread
http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=8341

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2009, 00:32:42 »
Just for fun
Feb 2009

May 2009

The cap is growing so fast it made contact with a Bali Slimer. Looks like the cap is going to win.

Here it is in April just about to make contact

And today... Ouch  :flame
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 03:16:35 by Lazylivin »

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2009, 09:15:21 »
These are good pics, but still dont capture the striking beauty of seeing it live. It really inspired me and I look forward to seeing it again. Was only there for a little while and learned several things of interest.
  Thank You Once Again, Brian

Ray

The mind is a wonderful servant but a dangerous master!

Bellina

« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2009, 09:43:45 »
Your tank is absolutely stunning! I'm envious haha.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2009, 04:47:02 »
Thanks so much for the compliments. I really enjoy the tank and sharing the pictures.

Offline its fry

• Fry
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2009, 15:47:32 »

You have a really nice reef growing out here.
Congrate on your success with SPS.

I'm not ready for that just yet..  ::)

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #85 on: June 03, 2009, 11:56:51 »
Lazy, you're tank looks great! One of the best 55's I've seen. I love your rock, where did you find it? The only thing I ever see around here is boulders.
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #86 on: June 25, 2009, 03:27:35 »
Lazy, you're tank looks great! One of the best 55's I've seen. I love your rock, where did you find it? The only thing I ever see around here is boulders.

Thanks JD, The rock is Walt Smith Fiji and I got it from Aquarium Etc and Marine Solutions.

Here are some Ric's & Zoanthids from Coral Ranch added to the tank over the past couple of months.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #87 on: August 12, 2009, 01:37:23 »
Well I made a couple of real bone head mistakes this past week that may cost me dearly.

Here is the story: My reef tank has had chronic low PH for the past 6 years since moving into this house due to a overly  sealed home causing less oxygen rich air and an abundance of CO2. Never been real concerned but always wondered what could be with a normal PH range.   I have tried a few things to help over the years with no real success until of late.

I purchased a Coralife SL-65 High Pressure Super Luft Pump last Wednesday from Pet Solutions that is capable of pumping large amounts of outside air directly into the sump or skimmer to drive out the CO2. Because we were leaving for vacation the plan was not to hook it up until I got back this week.

Well boredom Thursday night got the best of me and I thought "it is just an air pump what could go wrong".  :banghead Breaking the cardinal rule to not make a tank change one week prior to going out of town I hooked it up.

When I woke Friday morning the PH was 8.05....  Which it normally would be 7.85 - 7.90 at that hour with an AlK level of 9.5DKH. So I was pretty happy with the result only being on for 12 hours and thought it was worth the money spent and trouble installing it.

Off I went on Vacation not really giving the tank much thought returned this evening. First thing I looked at when I got home was the Reef Keeper and the PH was 8.20. The happiness lasted about 1 second. Looked in the tank and found 2 baseball size SPS completely lost and many others in really bad shape. First thing I did was pull out a handheld PH meter to confirm the reading on the RK. Then grabbed an Alkalinity test kit and got a reading of 6.7DKH. “WHAT!” Opened a brand new kit of another brand and 6.4DKH. Thinking OMG NO… how could this be. I checked my dosing pumps and noticed they had not been dosing full doses of ALK since I left for vacation.

It took me an hour to finally figure out what happened:
As a safety precaution the dosing pumps are connected to a PH meter. If PH ever hits 8.25 they shutdown as a fail safe. Since I never was able to hit 8.25 even with a DKH of 11 in the past (Unless my windows were open for a couple days) it was a safe value to set until now. The new air pump did such a good job fixing the chronic low PH problem that it was hitting a PH of 8.25 after a few minutes of the pumps being on so it was never really dosing much of any ALK for that past 6 days.  Since I normally run a high Alk level  system 9.5dkh-10.5dkh the corals could not acclimate to that low of a level even with a good PH.

So to make matters worse what did I do…. manually dosed 110ML of Alk. :banghead It had been so long since manually dosing that I remembered the amounts wrong. 110ML was total dose for a 24 period. MY PH jumped to 8.44 and Alk went from 6.7dkh – 9dkh in a matter of minutes.

At this point I have no idea what will happen to the tank over the next couple of days. The air Pump is off to help reduce the PH level. Even though I have 50 gallons of premixed saltwater I decided against doing a water change as to not shock more then I already have. Just going to let things come back down on their own.  The calcium is at 500 and it normally runs 420-430. I am guessing that has something to do with the corals being stressed and not using the calcium that has been dosed over the past week.

I pulled the dead and dying corals out of the tank and going to check ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels shortly.

Thanks for listening to my issues and open to any suggestions,
Brian

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
« Reply #88 on: August 12, 2009, 07:21:45 »
WOW!  Sorry to hear that.  Hopefully thing level out and you don't lose much more. 

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #89 on: August 12, 2009, 09:30:10 »
Lazy, I'm sorry to hear this. Whats the status of the tank this morning?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2009, 10:08:42 »
Sorry to hear that happened! I have been considering putting a piece of tape over the pH reading on my aquacontroller. I find that only bad things happen when you try and 'fix' pH (when nothing was really wrong except for the numbers on your aquacontroller).

My suggestion, put a piece of tape over your pH reading (unless it has going below 7.9). Top off with limewater if you do not already. I would also lose the air pump - this is one more variable to worry about.

Offline TechGuy

• "Fraginator"
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2009, 10:37:20 »
Sorry to hear that happened! I have been considering putting a piece of tape over the pH reading on my aquacontroller. I find that only bad things happen when you try and 'fix' pH (when nothing was really wrong except for the numbers on your aquacontroller).

My suggestion, put a piece of tape over your pH reading (unless it has going below 7.9). Top off with limewater if you do not already. I would also lose the air pump - this is one more variable to worry about.

I'm with you. I quit trying to get my chronic low PH back up. If everything is happy, and healthy. I don't mess with it.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2009, 13:57:11 »
There is nothing but good news this afternoon. PH and Alk is back to normal levels and there are no new coral losses.  8) I raised the PH fail safe to 8.5 for now and turned the air pump back on. Will record ALK daily to find out what is a good fit with the new PH level the air pump is going to give.

The reef and frag tank looks a little thin with the dead corals removed from this incident and the previous incident a few weeks back.

Logzor the Kalk drip is something I want to do. Bought a mixer at the frag swap. It is going to take some time to figure out how to incorporate it into the tank regarding placement etc...

Thanks for everyone's concerns
Brian

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2009, 14:00:17 »
good to hear

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2009, 14:05:34 »
Hey Brian, if there is anything that I can do to help just let me know. If you need me to harbor some thing or what ever just ask.

PS. Hows my Yuma?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2009, 14:15:38 »
Thanks for your offer to help. Your Yuma and all softie's and LPS showed no sign of stress  :drink. I guess they are just hardier then SPS.

Offline jd

• Dr. Skimmer
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2009, 14:22:20 »
Glad to heard you are on the rebound. You didn't lose too much did you?
Call me Mr. Rev. Dr.

Offline jeremyt

• Adult
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2009, 14:30:34 »
softie's and LPS showed no sign of stress  :drink. I guess they are just hardier then SPS.

yeah, i learned real quick you have to be careful with sps, i have almost killed two of my pieces. lucky they came back for me.  ;D

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2009, 14:31:26 »
Thats good on the Yuma but was not my main concern. The offer to help is open at all times.

Slandis is coming over Saturday to help me get the 180 set up. I keep telling Vivian that I can do it but I really have problems just moving around on a mechanics creeper seat. Vivian and I are very excited and thankful to have the help. I have come to the conclusion that 'youthfulness' is wasted on young people; They do not appreciate it.  :)

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2009, 21:16:29 »
Wow.....and I've been thinking of piping some fresh air in for my tank.   I think I'll live with my low ph, and keep dripping kalk.

What pieces did you loose?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2009, 21:25:07 by Wall_Tank »

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2009, 21:27:10 »
Alk swings are deadly to sps sounds like another day or two would have wiped out the whole tank if you ever need someone to test when your going to be out of town I can come check on everything for ya.  Hope you didn't lose anything really nice.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #101 on: August 15, 2009, 22:05:28 »
Here is a picture showing what I either lost completely or had to frag because of RTN over the past month.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #102 on: August 15, 2009, 22:07:05 »
There were substantial losses in my frag tank as well.

Reefd Up

« Reply #103 on: August 15, 2009, 22:14:44 »
Sorry to hear this Brian...I just read this thread for the first time in a while.  I'd offer you some frags, but I'm in the same boat. 

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #104 on: August 15, 2009, 22:34:19 »
That is sad.  Hope things are starting to turn better and stabilize.   

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2009, 12:58:16 »
Hey, Hey Brian, You are welcome to frag anything in my tank.  ;D

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2009, 13:47:28 »
Thanks Ray.

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2009, 15:05:01 »
Sorry to hear about your SPS loses, Brian. Glad everything is back to normal for your reef.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2009, 16:24:13 »
Here's a shot today of whats left.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2009, 18:39:10 by Lazylivin »

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2009, 17:58:03 »
Looks a little bare.  But I'm sure it'll spruce up with all of those L.E. frags.

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2009, 18:27:31 »
Here's a shot today of whats left.

still the nicest 55 I have ever seen!
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2009, 22:28:26 »
Wow! Still looks good. Sorry to hear about your losses. I still have that Pearlberry frag I got from ya a while back If you need a slice to grow out.
Chromiumlux

Offline ~reefchik~

• Adult
    • Real Job:  HunnyBuns Nursery & Reborn Supply
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2009, 23:31:27 »
Beautiful tank!
-Steph
--------------
What do you call an old reefer with no tank? 
:-(
-----------------------------

Offline reefkeeper

• Juvenile
« Reply #113 on: August 19, 2009, 03:28:59 »
Brian - Your tank is very beautiful!!  Nature sometimes does unexplained things, like wild fires, that provide for previously unachievable growth and beauty.  Keep having fun -Jeff
Jeff
120g baby reef w/ 55g refug
Penn State & Steelers Fan

Offline rayviv

• Here fishy, fishy.
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2009, 11:30:48 »
Wow! Still looks good. Sorry to hear about your losses. I still have that Pearlberry frag I got from ya a while back If you need a slice to grow out.
Brian,Take the offer so you can share it w/me,PLEASE-PLEASE :laugh:

Offline bkvreef

• Adult
« Reply #115 on: August 19, 2009, 12:41:54 »
Brian - Your tank is very beautiful!!  Nature sometimes does unexplained things, like wild fires, that provide for previously unachievable growth and beauty.  Keep having fun -Jeff

I couldn't have said it better!
Thanks and God Bless,
John

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #116 on: August 19, 2009, 20:15:27 »
Thanks for the offer, I still have the small colony and a couple of frags so all good there.