2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Duh Moment!! Limewater  (Read 1689 times)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Duh Moment!! Limewater
« on: April 23, 2010, 23:05:36 »
I recently restarted topping off with limewater. I noticed I seemed to be going through it a lot quicker than I used to and my pumps were getting really bad calcium build-up.

Then I realized what I was doing.....I was adding 1 tablespoon of lime rather than 1 teaspoon per gallon!! DUH!!!

Offline HUNGER

Re: Duh Moment!! Limewater
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 23:16:25 »
ouch
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline cyberwollf

• 2010 FragSwap Chairman
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 23:22:15 »
Were you dosing as a slurry or waiting until it settled ad dripped it?  It you were dripping it, it shouldn't matter. Once it saturates, everything else will just settle to the bottom. Refil with water and give it a shake next time. That's how kalk reactors work. I add about a cup per month to mine.  I'm just assuming that you drip, so any excess buildup on pumps mean you are dripping too much. Don't dose for a fee days and see how far your cal falls. Put that in the chemistry calc online and see what your saturated, settled, limewater dose should be.
75G Mixed Reef w/ 30G sump/refuge

Electrical Engineers do it on impulse, with faster rise times, with more power, and less resistance at higher frequencies, without shorts, until it Hertz

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 23:29:33 »
i just add 4 teespoons every monday to the kalk reator   
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2010, 12:14:48 »
I top off with kalkwater. A couple of times I didn't let it settle long enough so that may be what caused it.

I used to only use 1tsp per gallon so it wasn't saturated. Using the 1tblsp per gallon meant I was using a saturated mix contributing to build up.