2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Excited to get reefing again! Have a light mounting question.  (Read 1620 times)

Offline ReeferAnon

• Fry
Hello everyone!

I have a 30 gallon IM fusion coming this week or next. Got about everything i need except for lighting. Currently saving up for the orphek atlantik v4 but i was hoping to get advice from someone who may have experienced this issue.

The orphek universal mounting arms say they fit on 10 to 19mm glass (or acrylic).  Customer support says glass, i read somewhere last night that said as long as glass or acrylic is 10mm it will fit. The tank glass is 8mm, and not sure about the acrylic AIO sump on the back as i couldnt find the thickness of those walls anywhere.  Could i just line the inside of the mounts with some felt to filll the 2mm gap? I dont want to break my brand new 30 gallon obviously.  Wondering if anyone had experience with this issue?  Thank you so much for any and all advice.

Cheers

Offline dbjonesjr

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Excited to get reefing again! Have a light mounting question.
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2019, 15:29:28 »
Could probably put a plate that is a few millimeters thick in each spot or across the back (kind of like a washer). I would probably use a solid material like acrylic that will help distribute the weight (to make sure the weight of the light does not crack the glass - though I am not sure this is plausible). Say cut a couple 3x3 or 4x4 squares of 1/4" black acrylic and that would do the job. Might be able to find scraps somewhere to do that too.

Offline ReeferAnon

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2019, 13:10:50 »
 :whistle:

Great idea, thank you so much!

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 22:11:54 »

Hello and Welcome! I may be in Dayton this weekend if Lazy is open and I have a small sheet of black acrylic that I could give you if you want?