2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Homemade CO2 Scrubber  (Read 12803 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Homemade CO2 Scrubber
« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2017, 23:21:32 »
co2 is heavier then the air in your home so it is needed to have the fan at floor level or have the fan in the window with the intake plumbed to the floor.  I didnt want to deal with blowing cold winter air into the house and I think co2 wise you would want the fan to blow it outside the home.  There are several systems that work this way for removal of excess humidity, even claim to reduce the need for dehumidifiers.  I cant tell about the humidity claim but for co2 and the occasional musty basement smell it has really helped. 
  Like reeferntraining I have also noticed a fairly large drop in alk and have had to increase my supplementation.
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2017, 02:00:07 »
co2 levels are differemt when talking 1,000 of feet or miles however in our homes level of co2 from height of your window to floor is not likely a difference great enough to impact the results. I am thinking you could have your fan at window and still get the same postive results. Might be worth a try if that piping gets in your way.

Offline joelbegt

• Adult
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2017, 08:47:46 »
co2 levels are differemt when talking 1,000 of feet or miles however in our homes level of co2 from height of your window to floor is not likely a difference great enough to impact the results. I am thinking you could have your fan at window and still get the same postive results. Might be worth a try if that piping gets in your way.

So you feel a bathroom vent fan on the ceiling would do the same?
I thought I would share how I was able to get rid of the co2 that was in my basement. I had a small blower at work that wasn't being used so I put it to good use.  I believe it was for a radon system. I installed it down on the floor and ran some pipe up and out my basement window.  I cut a piece of wood the same size of the window and ran the pipe outside. Since running the fan my pH has not dropped below 7.9 and an average high of 8.25.  Before the fan I was getting lows of 7.69 and highs about 7.9 This has been wonderful for my tank and has helped out with basement odor.
Jeff

Is this running 24/7?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2017, 10:05:44 »

I think so but not sure. If it did then that would be ideal in my situation.
I was also considering trying to run skimmer air intake outside.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2017, 11:15:00 »
It would probably pull out some humidity too.  Have heard of people using bathroom fans for that.  I'm running a dehumidifier like all the time which ain't cheap.  Might try to rig something too.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #55 on: September 19, 2017, 21:57:06 »
Is this running 24/7?
I have been running the fan 24/7 so far but put it on a timer last night to run 12 hours from 9pm to 9am.  I'll see if there is any change in the ph of the tank with the reduced run time.
Jeff

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #56 on: September 20, 2017, 10:07:47 »
I'm going to throw this out there too, although a little different direction. Growing some large plants or small trees may be help as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #57 on: September 20, 2017, 11:21:28 »
I'm going to throw this out there too, although a little different direction. Growing some large plants or small trees may be help as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I actually thought about that myself. However, my tank room is on the north side of the house, on the lower level, so it gets no sunlight at all...

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #58 on: September 26, 2017, 19:48:50 »
I’m glad I ran across this thread! I’ve been battling low ph because of high levels of CO2, but didnt know the best way to correct it. I happened to have a spare DI canaster so all i needed was the CO2 remover from BRS. I’ve had it installed for 3 days now and have watched my ph rise each day.

Glad to be part of this community.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #59 on: September 26, 2017, 20:36:55 »

Love the scrubbers guys.

For anyone whose run the airline outside, when it's really cold or hot out, does it monkey with your tank temperature much?  I want to do it, but I've always wondered this. Anyone know?

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #60 on: September 26, 2017, 20:41:39 »
I’m curious of this as well. I almost ran the tube outside but was afraid of possible temp swings. I still might do it, just to try it out.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #61 on: December 16, 2017, 22:27:52 »
Since it’s been a while since we were discussing this, Has anyone experienced temp problems with running their skimmer intake outside in this weather?

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #62 on: December 23, 2017, 11:29:33 »
Since it’s been a while since we were discussing this, Has anyone experienced temp problems with running their skimmer intake outside in this weather?

I’m planning on running mine outside today. I’m going to run it through the wall and down to the basement so it’s going to be a bit of a task though. I will post if there seems to be any temp changes.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #63 on: December 23, 2017, 15:05:17 »
Great. Keep us posted...