2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Trying something different this time  (Read 3244 times)

Offline GrandeAzul

• Fry
Trying something different this time
« on: June 23, 2014, 12:38:00 »
I recently read something about making frags that I wanted to test out for myself. Usually when I cut back one of my coral I glue the frag to the plug where I made the cut. In the article (I don't  remember where but if i find it i will cite it later) it was suggested that gluing a healthy area instead at a fresh cut is better because the coral will immediately begin to attach to the plug.

I tried to make sure the frag touches the base in a few spots without glue because in my experience glue kills the spot it touches so how would that be any different. Anyone else tried this method?  What were your results? I'm going to keep this thread updated with growth pictures so everyone can see the results. Here's what the look like on day one.

Offline GrandeAzul

• Fry
Re: Trying something different this time
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 23:20:41 »
No one's tried this?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Trying something different this time
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 00:58:12 »
I have but didn't notice a difference. Like you said, any part of the coral that is in contact with glue will die. When I cut hard corals and mount cut end down it usually has healed over in a week or so. Same for the cut tip on the colony. The red dragon in your pic is not much of an encruster for me.