2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Basic DIY nano algae scrubber  (Read 1912 times)

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
Basic DIY nano algae scrubber
« on: July 21, 2016, 16:46:48 »
Not much of a DIY, but I've been wanting to try this for a while. I don't see or hear about alot of algae scrubbers, especially on nano tanks. It's just a sheet of craft mesh, air stones, and a few zip ties. I have a small LED white light to shine through the glass to light it up. Its supposed to out compete the algae in the tank and starve it, much like a refugium with cheato. I guess if it doesn't work I'm out $1.97 and about 10 minutes. I think it's worth the gamble, lol. Anyone used one a scrubber with luck? Thanks everyone for looking. Happy reefing.

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
Re: Basic DIY nano algae scrubber
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 20:02:00 »
I have used scrubbers on and off, I think they work well.  I'm not sold on them as sole form of filtration, but part of a multi prong approach.  Need to get one running on my system again.  Like the build!

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
Re: Basic DIY nano algae scrubber
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 09:05:55 »
Yeah, I'm still using GFO in a reactor, carbon, filter floss, and a basic air stone skimmer. I still have small patches of hair algae and another kind of red coarse algae that I don't know what it is in the tank. I tried to run cheato in the basket with a  light, but couldn't get it to grow well. It kept on getting brown debris covering it. The reason I decided to give this a try was that there was always algae growing between the glass and the basket where the cheato was. As small as this one is I think if it works it should only be used in conjunction with the other filtering methods.