2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: reef crystals and high alk. question???  (Read 1609 times)

Offline Warhawk937

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
reef crystals and high alk. question???
« on: December 15, 2018, 22:12:40 »
i currently have my dosing dialed in: calcium 440,  alk 10.0.  I have been using the balling method with red sea colors with some moderate success.  I purchased a couple of cases of the reef crystals from the group buy a month ago.
i am apprehensive to us it now that every thing has balanced out. I would love to here your opinions. assumeing i do a water change im looking at spinking the alk to 12.  is that an acceptable level as long as it is stable or should i keep the dosing pumps until the level drop bag down??????   

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: reef crystals and high alk. question???
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2018, 22:43:10 »
You can just add alittle bit of muratic acid to your salt mix with an airstone and it will bring down the alk to what ever level you want.  You will just have to figure out how much to add to the amount of water to obtain your desired level.  with a larger system I dont feel the increased alk level will effect the system like a smaller tank so I dont mess with adjusting mine.
jeff

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 23:05:54 »
I’d recommend keeping your dosing as is. If you’re doing a 10-15% partial water change, it shouldn’t make too much difference if the reef crystals mix a little high.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 14:06:16 »
My experience with Reef Crystals is that it has been low on Alk (6-7dKh) and Mag (1000ppm). I have not used the recent RC that we picked up.  I aim for 9-10 dKh on Alk to give some wiggle room and Mag 1325 ppm. I try to aim at stability with slow changes to the water chemistry. Sounds easy but it is sometimes difficult to achieve.