2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: be careful with paypal account  (Read 6105 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
be careful with paypal account
« on: June 29, 2018, 10:13:16 »
I thought that I would share my experience with paypal this past week that it might help others.  I had my checking and debit cards attached to my paypal account along with a credit card.  This past week I received 2 phone calls overnight from paypal but they didnt leave any messages.  I checked my account in the mourning and saw that someone had gotten into my account and sent themselves $1500.  I checked my checking account and nothing had been taken out yet so I moved my money to my savings and removed the overdraft connection from my savings to checking.  I then called my credit card and put a hold on the account.  I spoke with my bank about what happened and they said I should be ok.  I disputed the payment with paypal and late that night I received an email from paypal that they had denied my claim and I owed the $1500.  I called my bank the next day and they said they paypal had tried to debit my account that mourning and since I had basically frozen my account they didnt get any of the money. Next I called paypal and was told that the request for money had come from my account and ip address.  So somehow someone had gotten my paypal account information and my computer's ip address and made the fraudulent charge.  I moved the dispute with paypal to the next level of which I havent heard back from yet.  The good thing is that they werent able to get any money.  Bad thing is I have had to cancel all my accounts that were tied to paypal, get new checks, notify anyone that debits my accounts for payments, get a new credit card.  The biggest lesson learned and advise I can give everyone is not have your checking account tied to your paypal, or have another payment alternative.  My bank told me once the funds would have been taken they would have been gone with no recourse.  With a credit card tied to the paypal account I think you would have more clout for recourse against fraud. I am now receiving emails from paypal informing me that I have insufficient funds to cover my purchase.  I dont know if they are able to effect my credit rating if they find judgement against me again but since i have all my tied accounts closed good luck getting a penny out of me.  If you use paypal take my advise and remove your checking and debit cards from your account!!
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
Re: be careful with paypal account
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2018, 12:01:35 »
Jeff, do you have an eBay account and was it linked to PayPal?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2018, 12:42:41 »
Yes both linked together. I had just ordered some freeze dried food a few days before.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2018, 13:21:17 »
Was your eBay password and PayPal password the same? I ask because my eBay was hacked and someone was trying to sell ink cartridges on my account. I didn’t even know, but luckily eBay refunded everyone’s money and my PayPal wasn’t accessed. I think it was because I had different passwords.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2018, 13:31:28 »
Both of my passwords were the same.  Its too hard to keep track of all the passwords needed now a days so I generally keep the same password with most sites.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2018, 14:40:18 »
I would strongly consider making eBay/PayPal separate passwords. I think that is the only thing that saved me.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2018, 15:00:27 »
It is a PIA to have multiple passwords but it is best. Being in IT I can see how easy it is to obtain account information. There are many websites out there where the sole purpose is account collection. For example lets say I am a web developer and build a website like Ohio Reef that requires an account. When someone signs up I take their email and password and try it on every financial website such as paypal, every us bank etc... Most folks use the same password so they can be very successful at this. Even common reputable well know websites have corrupt employees that are very technically capable. It is happening a lot!

Here is how I have found to deal with this. Come up with a password algorithm. For example let say I am going to create a account on Ohio Reef. My password could be F$8ovens
F because it is the last letter in the domain name
$ because I always use a $ sign as second character of password
8 because the domain name ohioreef has 8 characters
ovens because I always use ovens in the password.
This is an example how you can have a different password for a website and only have to remember 1

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2018, 19:18:59 »
after working for a very secure company, I modify my pw's from site to site. You can always use a different symbol persite or get a key generator for your passwords across multiple applications.... its just the world we live in, something else to consider is not saving your user/pw in your browser that was security tip #1 from said company I worked for...

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 21:15:07 »
Brian, I think your algorithm is a fantastic idea!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 22:15:16 »
Who do you all like to use for payments?  I just received an email from paypal and they denied my claim still saying I owe the $1500.  I guess I will never be using their service again.  I dont have an iphone so I dont think I can use applepay.
thanks
Jeff

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2018, 22:29:43 »
Use 2 factor authentication wherever possible.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: June 29, 2018, 22:32:24 »
Use 2 factor authentication wherever possible.

what is that Paul?
Jeff

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2018, 22:36:42 »
You login with a password, then the site will send a code to a known cell phone #, email address.  you have to enter that code for the second factor.

Not all sites have it, but it is becoming more common.  A good number of banking sites have it, and Paypal does have a 2 factor authentication system if enabled.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2018, 22:39:10 »
How do you access the internet.  Is there a chance that your home router has been compromised?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2018, 23:11:27 »
I access the internet from a wireless router that is hooked to a motorola modem.  I actually dont know how the account was compromised.  Just frustrating and makes me mad that Paypal is ruling against me when I am the victim here.
 my email account (yahoo) uses 2 factor.
thanks
Jeff

Offline bbtm64

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: July 02, 2018, 07:41:41 »
Something similar happened to me last year. They hacked my PayPal account, "paid off" my PayPal credit and transferred money from from checking account. Luckily, I caught it before the money was transferred out of my PayPal account.
PayPal took care,of the whole thing, once I contacted them.

My password is MUCH stronger now, lol.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Brent McCloskey

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2018, 14:59:02 »
Also you could look into either LastPass or KeePass as options. Both have generators and chrome plugins to retrieve passwords from a heavily encrypted file. I use KeePass myself for home and work, which uses a local encrypted file, where LastPass uses a cloud-stored database. Most important on both: make a complex, easy to remember master password. If you forget that pass, you're locked out of your passwords.

Jordan

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2018, 14:48:24 »
I received a call from paypal this mourning asking when I was going to fund the $1500 charge against my account.  I explained the issue and all I got was that they could take the charges to a collections agency.  What a mess.
Jeff

Offline yinyang

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2018, 15:30:00 »
Jeff, did you know who PayPal send money to? maybe you should contact local police to find out where the money went, as far as I know PayPal does not care their customers just like eBay, eBay did that to me before when someone scam me for some item I sold, hope you can get out this mess.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2018, 15:36:33 »
I just made my fourth call to paypal and got a very helpful girl that actually reviewed my case while I waited on the phone.  After consulting with her supervisor they found that I had no previous history with the seller and decided to remove the charge.  I got stuck with a 4.95 fee charge but I can live with that to not have my credit ruined or worst case loose $1500
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2018, 17:14:41 »
Wow Jeff, glad to hear that. I can’t believe they were that unhelpful before!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2018, 17:29:08 »
I don’t know why it posted that twice. Sorry. I also want to thank Brian for the algorithm password suggestion. I have come up with a system and started making separate passwords for everything and it’s easy as can be to remember your password.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2018, 22:40:38 »
Glad it worked for you

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2018, 16:29:42 »
Reefern, I would still look into a password vault of some kind as well, unless you are writing down and keeping in a safe. Just sayin'

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2018, 17:06:46 »
Hey Grym. Is the vault just a place to store all the passwords?