2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Lazylivin's 55 gallon Reef  (Read 19136 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Lazylivin's 55 gallon Reef
« on: October 14, 2008, 00:41:19 »
Current System is a standard off the shelf 55gallon from jacks. Custom Stand and Canopy.
Lighting: (2) 250w 20k MH (Coralvue)
Filter: Aqua C Remora Protein Skimmer and Fiji Live Rock
Sump and Refigum under the tank.

All of the SPS came from TheAquaDen and QuickSilver and the LPS from LFS's.

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
Re: Lazylivin's 55 gallon Reef
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2008, 01:22:48 »
I really like your aquascape, not all crowded but plenty of it in there.

I also like the stand and canopy.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2008, 01:25:45 »
Thanks UD Flyer appreciate the feedback
« Last Edit: April 03, 2009, 23:11:12 by Lazylivin »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2008, 00:37:48 »
I have been wanting a controller for some time now and finally broke down and bought one. Went with the Reefkeeper 2. This was one of the two in my price range. The other option was a AC jr. The AC jr. has quite a few more features then the RK2 and is also cheaper then the RK2 but the deciding factor for me was being able to flush mount it in the aquarium hood. The ACjr probes connect to the head unit so length of cords would have been a issue going all the way to the sump and the connectors would not have allowed the clean flush mount look. Here is a pick after installation.

RK2 on the right side of the hood

bigray

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2008, 00:45:15 »
Nice looking tank. I think we met at NDR the other day. Always good to put a face with a name.

quicksilver

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2008, 09:04:03 »
Wow my old corals are looking great I knew I found a good home with you. Keep up that good work. ;D

Offline Grunk08

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2008, 16:59:35 »
What kind of overflow box are you using? I'm getting ready to buy one but not sure yet what to get.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2008, 20:11:54 »
Beautiful tank! I'd like to get the RK2 for my tank, keep us posted on how it works out for you.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2008, 21:18:19 »
Thanks for the nice comments.

Nice looking tank. I think we met at NDR the other day. Always good to put a face with a name.
That is the nice thing about NDR, every time I go there I meet someone from Ohio Reef.

What kind of overflow box are you using? I'm getting ready to buy one but not sure yet what to get.
I am using the old U-Tube Siphon Style. It is limited on the amount of flow it can handle and is big and bulky. There are a few newer styles out now but I have not looked into them. I think drilling is the way to go if tank is not already setup but not sure if that style of water removal removes the white line layer on top of the water.

Beautiful tank! I'd like to get the RK2 for my tank, keep us posted on how it works out for you.

So far I really like it. It is nice to see PH and temperature at a glance. I also like standby mode which turns off configured devices while you feed. However the RK2 is a far second to the ACjr as far as functionality goes.

Wow my old corals are looking great I knew I found a good home with you. Keep up that good work. ;D

Thanks Mike, I love all the corals I got from you

quicksilver

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2008, 13:12:48 »
just as long as they bring you as much joy as they did for me good luck in the future. ;)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
ATO Installation
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2008, 23:27:15 »
About a month back I purchased and installed the Level-Loc auto top off unit. It is a fantasic little unit with lots of safety measures built in. I would highly recommend it.

It installs in a couple of minutes if you have your RO/DI unit output running to your tank. All you have to do is supply it power and plug in the water line. It uses a Float Value and Solenoid. The purpose of the solenoid and float switch combination is to provide safety backup.  In the event of a float valve failure the switch will sense the rising water and the solenoid will close. I also added a third and forth safety measure which was hook it to my Reef Keeper 2 which only turns on power to the unit twice a day for 30 minutes each. Lastly was to add a water alarm that is actually in the sump about two inches above the float valve. So all 4 things would have to fail before there was a issue. Much less likely then before when I would turn on the water and have to remember to turn it off an hour later. I forgot to do that a couple of times in the past which is why I bought this. Here is a picture of it in the sump.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2008, 23:50:24 »
Where did the frogspawn go that was in the second picture in the right hand side of the tank that thing looks huge.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: November 28, 2008, 00:03:35 »
It was good size, I fragged it off to Ohio Reef members. However I have about six little baby's that have come out of the live rock since I got rid of it.. They are about a 1/4" each. I keep covering them up with a piece of rock whenever I see them but they keep popping back up in other places. Did not know they could spawn like that.

Where did the frogspawn go that was in the second picture in the right hand side of the tank that thing looks huge.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2008, 00:17:07 »
I remember seeing them for sale now.  I have one that now has about 30 heads but for some reason it decided to stop expanding fully.  At one time it was my favorite coral but then again I think every coral I have was a favorite at one time or another.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2008, 00:26:15 »
I remember seeing them for sale now.  I have one that now has about 30 heads but for some reason it decided to stop expanding fully.  At one time it was my favorite coral but then again I think every coral I have was a favorite at one time or another.

Check this one out.

Midwest Express

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2008, 01:25:38 »
That is massive... any idea how long it too that colony to grow?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2008, 01:33:12 »
That is massive... any idea how long it too that colony to grow?

17 years

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2008, 16:39:06 »
Over the past couple of months the conversion from LPS to SPS has been going well. I have had some problems with PH and Alkalinity but slowly making changes in the right direction from everyones help and feedback. Here are some pictures of the tank today after I got some a SPS colony and Acans from NDR.

From NDR today..Right one is My favorite piece in the tank.

Left pink one from Quicksilver and right one from NDR

Bonsia Tricolor Acro from YZREEF (2nd favorite piece in tank). It has much brighter purple then picture shows with green polyps but still a good picture.

Some Rics, collecting in hopes that someday I can do a Ric and Seahorse tank

Some more pics

Full Tank Shot

Midwest Express

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2008, 19:27:26 »
Wow... lookin good.  A lot different lookin then when I was over for the xenia frag!  Can't wait to see it when it is grown out!  That yellow sps from your first pic is sweet.  First dibs on a frag when it matures enough!  ;D

apelaston

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2008, 19:55:58 »
U kill me. i was going to get those acans. it seems we have the same tastes! now if i can get my tank as cool as urs!

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2008, 21:29:42 »
Very Nice!

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2008, 19:33:05 »
  looking real good!   ;)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2008, 01:34:13 »
Thank you for the great feedback. It is really nice to have a place to post this stuff and share experiences, My wife and kids are not into it so much so only you guys can appreciate it.

This weekend I added a frag tank. Plumed it into the main tanks sump to add volume to the system and less stress/shock to new frags. First time I ever did any pluming work but got tips from club members and Dodd let me use his hole saw. Heres some pictures.

Plumed through wall to main system

DIY Stand Pipe and return. Brand New defective Koralina that blows the cover off when you turn it on. :crybaby I will exchange it this week. ^-^

And a couple of frags

apelaston

« Reply #23 on: December 01, 2008, 01:43:30 »
Looking good! i am goin to hit u up to make my new canopy ok? i was goimg to but cant take the cold garage. . .bbbrrr...lemme know if you are up to it and we can work something out.

Offline jake

• Adult
« Reply #24 on: December 01, 2008, 09:07:09 »
ya looking good man , nice and clean not a clutter