2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Painting Tank Stand  (Read 2351 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Painting Tank Stand
« on: November 21, 2014, 22:22:13 »
So I have built, ok my friend built my new stand. At first I thought I was going to stain and seal it, but I think I am just going to paint it. Any suggestions on what kind of paint, do I seal it or primer it or what? I truely am a rookie at this and any suggestions would be appreciated.

Offline Steve

• Adult
Re: Painting Tank Stand
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 13:49:15 »
No painters out there?

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2014, 14:32:53 »
Steve I would use a paint like a brush on paint something that it's non-toxic I wouldn't spray paint it if you spray-painted you're going to have all the fumes just patch the nail holes in and hit it was some like rust oleum black something is resistant to water has to be about the best thing that I can tell you I'm not really a painter but it seems logical that you would use some resistance water

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2014, 22:24:42 »
If you use good paint you won't need to prime it. I use the stuff from lowes. It's anout $30 a gallon, but covers well and hold up well. Also it's a good idea to paint the inside.

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2014, 22:27:11 »
Do you have a picture of the stand?  I am quite good at these carpentry sort of things and would be happy to throw out some advice.  Without seeing the stand, I would say get some white primer and prime the inside of the stand where the sump goes, this will help protect the wood, and also increase the visibility when you are trying to work down there.  Next, I would say use a quality primer on the exterior before you paint.  Wood is quite porous and will soak up lots of liquid.  So it is better to have it soak up the cheap primer before your more expensive paint goes on. 

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2014, 22:29:44 »
It is just standard 2x4's and plywood. I have been looking at a paint with the primer in it. Any thoughts?

Offline METZCOOL

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 07:46:28 »
Steve,
A quick call to your local Sherwin Williams and they will get you headed in the right direction.
I used to be a District Manager for them but the products have changed a bunch since then so wouldn't want to tell you what to use.
I will say if you truly want a durable waterproof coating, I would be looking at the epoxies.

Here is a link that is very informative and maybe more info than you need but you can take what you want from it.
http://protective.sherwin-williams.com/pdf/Epoxy%20Coatings%20Guide.pdf

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 14:48:59 »
Thanks Metz, definitely sensory overload, but some usable info also.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2014, 14:37:32 »
You'll generally need 2 coats for unfinished wood, the first soaks in and will raise the grain.  You'll need to sand after the first coat to keep things nice and smooth.  Put on the second coat and your good to go.  I use a good exterior latex for the final coat.