2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Feeding a Copperband Butterfly  (Read 7445 times)

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Feeding a Copperband Butterfly
« on: January 20, 2013, 23:42:53 »
I hear alot of people talking about keeping CBB some with success some not. I would just like to share my experience with mine. No guarentees just my experience. I purchased my CBB over 6 years ago from Marine Solutions out of the runway. When I first got it, it ate all my little feather dusters and then all my aptasia. Then I had to find a way to feed it and I believe the solution I came up with is the reason I have been able to keep it alive so long. The answer I came up with was using a cone worm feeder slightly modified to enable it to feed at a slower pace than the more aggressive fish.

I cut four slots at the bottom of the cone, 2 a little higher than the other and then I attached the cone to my center brace, I use fishing line but thats just how I do it. I usually feed flake, pellets or nori first and allow the more aggresive fish to get a little full on that and then I use Spirulina enriched Brine and Mysis in the cone feeder. As it thaws and sinks the CBB because of it's skinny snout can stick it in the cone and gets first dibs on the food. I also use table shrimp and clams but it must be blended really small. I have also had success feeding freeze dried mysis and blood worms using a floating feeder.

Finally I have never really seen my CBB eat corals, though I have seen it pick at GSP and a couple acans, but it never has done any damage. I have posted this before but I also kept it with clams for about 2 years with no problems then out of nowhere it destroyed a super nice crocea. Since then I have tried clams 2 with no success. So for now I have 1 happy CBB, no aptasia or feather dusters and no clams. If you get a CBB that you have seen eat brine or mysis at the LFS this is a great way  to keep them fat and happy. Hope this helps some one.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Feeding a Copperband Butterfly
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2013, 23:52:51 »
Thanks for sharing Steve, I will have to give this a try.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2013, 09:03:44 »
Good idea. Makes since. Thank you. I may try one after all.

Offline chromiumlux

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2013, 17:29:41 »
Thanks for the info on this Steve!
Chromiumlux

Offline Kenn

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2013, 20:37:01 »
I've seen Steve's feeding set up and have loved it. he has one of the most healthy looking Copper Banded I've ever seen
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline Mussin

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2013, 21:30:11 »
Great write up..  I like the cone worm feeder. 

Jeremy

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2013, 02:48:17 »

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2013, 09:26:58 »
That's the ticket there. Your cbb acts like the king. Now I'm back on for a cbb.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2013, 12:47:54 »
Great idea!

Offline volcano

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2013, 22:37:12 »
After seeing steve's feeding method in person, I too tried this.  It worked very well.  CBB's are perfectly designed for feeding this way.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2015, 22:13:50 »
Steve
  dragging this old thread out.  How did you make your little feeder for the CB?  Might be getting one tomorrow if it comes in.
thanks
jeff

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2015, 22:39:50 »
I just used a plastic cone worm feeder. I cut 4 slits in it with a razor knife and I also added a little Styrofoam to the ring for extra buoyancy. Basically when you cut the slits just take out one row of plastic, it already has small holes for the worms. I just widened it enough for the CBB to get it's beak in.

Offline War ape

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 07:50:42 »
I have a CB I am going with Copepods, he is older and seems to be doing fine.  I put in sump and let them multiply they find their way to the display tank on their own..... He must eat well on them as I never see him pick at aptasia.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 15:19:51 »
I have a CB I am going with Copepods, he is older and seems to be doing fine.  I put in sump and let them multiply they find their way to the display tank on their own..... He must eat well on them as I never see him pick at aptasia.

How long have you had the CBB in your tank and what size is your tank?

Offline War ape

• Fry
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 15:53:21 »
I've only had him in my tank for 3 months but he came from my friends tank is about 2 years old.  Friend said feed him Copepods or he would die.  So far so good he is always hunting those critters down 24-7.  He seems far and happy currently.  Really Copepods are good for everything to eat.  Most put in sump as the fish will go to town on them if in main tank.... They do find way to tank on own believe it or not. I try to feed tank a variety of foods but nothing beats live.  I stocked mine with tigerpods for around $20. They are also sensitive to water conditions so make sure you are keeping everything perfect.

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2016, 17:20:09 »
Here you go Ken.