2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: is it worth growing chaeto in my AIO  (Read 2268 times)

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
is it worth growing chaeto in my AIO
« on: October 05, 2016, 09:32:34 »
I have been running chaeto in one of my compartment in my AIO for about 6 months now. Its a very small amount as it fits in a 4" x 4" x 8" section in the bak.  Its lit for 12 hours through the night.  It grows very well and I pull out a chunk every couple weeks.  When I do remove some, small pieces find their way into everything in the back of the tank and then I have to clean my pump filters. and stuff.

So my question is, is it really worth growing it for a 30 gallon tank and is there even enough to help with nitrates (which are 0), or affect ph swings overnight.

There are a lot of pods in there when I pull out a chunk, and I like having them, but I don't see a mandarin in my future anyway, so not too concerned about a safe haven for pods.

Also, the fuge light on the back of the tank heats my water up 1 - 1 1/2 degrees over night to 81 degrees, then back down to 79 during the day. I don't use a heater at all.

Looking for thoughts and opinions.
It costs HOW much?!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: is it worth growing chaeto in my AIO
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 12:06:00 »
Do you have a skimmer for nutrients export?  what kindof light are you using that heats up the water that much?  I use a simple led light over mine which emits very little heat.  The reverse cycle of the light at night should help boost your ph some overnight.  You can turn the light off for a couple of nights and see if it is indeed helping with your ph. I always feel any natural removal of nutrients is a good thing.
Jeff

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2016, 12:11:40 »
I have a skimmer that works well. The light is magnetically held directly to the glass so 4 bulbs are right against it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 18:58:36 »
Any other thoughts appreciated

It costs HOW much?!

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2016, 19:45:10 »
Since you asked...

Keep it. One of the reasons that you have low nitrates could be the chaeto.

As for the pods.. Almost everything eats them, including that new wrasse.
I feel that they are a important part of the ecosystem you are trying to establish in a reef system.
It is a SYSTEM after all :)

Just IMO
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2016, 21:49:11 »
Since you asked...

Keep it. One of the reasons that you have low nitrates could be the chaeto.

As for the pods.. Almost everything eats them, including that new wrasse.
I feel that they are a important part of the ecosystem you are trying to establish in a reef system.
It is a SYSTEM after all :)

Just IMO
Thanks for your input Kenn I appreciate it. And I thought I had no nitrates since I have never fed my fish? Hmmm. Just kidding:)

It costs HOW much?!