2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Possible (Reef) safe cure for bryopsis  (Read 4654 times)

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Possible (Reef) safe cure for bryopsis
« on: January 20, 2017, 13:27:16 »
 Sometimes these things don't always pan out.  This may be one of those  but  If you have Bryosis algae may want to watch this thread .
http://www.reef2reef.com/threads/fluconazole-x-bryopsis.283998/

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
Re: Possible (Reef) safe cure for bryopsis
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2017, 20:51:13 »
I picked up an acan frag from a local fish store a number of months ago.  When I got the frag home, I noticed some green algae that looked very close to hair algae or some something similar (or so I thought).  I was very new to the scene and not thinking much of it, I pulled the plug and bought the frag.  Got the frag placed in my tank, and let it go.  It was nice and puffy and growing really well.  SO was the green algae.  I continued to monitor it, there was never any change.  I only ever saw this algae in this one location.  I would manually take it out, and as expected, it would come back later.  It certainly isn't a fast growing "weed".  As I am constantly looking around for it, I never saw it anywhere else.  Eventually the frag started to deteriorate and I pulled it out and called it a loss.  Not sure if the deteriorating was due to the weed or some other reason.  But my other acan, is still alive and well.

Once I removed the frag for good, I manually pulled all the weeds off the rock.  I have a clean rock and all is good. OK, let's stop calling it a weed, we all know what it is, if I'm posting on this thread :)
So after removing the bryopsis, the tank was pretty again.  I was looking at the thread Brian posted in the OP, and it looks like there is two kinds.  The green bushy stuff, and the very thin strands that look like ferns leaves.  All my weeds that I have look to be like the ferny type leaves.  They seem to be in only one area, where that frag used to be.

Tonight, I was looking around the tank, and I noticed all these very short bristle type stems sticking out of one of my overflows.  I am not 100% sure it's bryopsis, but I am pretty darn sure it is.  This is on the other end of the tank, at the lower end of the overflow.  Odd place for it to be.  I don't see it anywhere else in the tank, other than the original location, that I have since plucked in the last day or so.
So, I could either manually continue to pluck them out, or not mess around and get the Fluconazole capsules that were talked about in the OP that Brian provided.
Here is a picture of my overflow.  The bryopsis is not really that green, but an off color.  I'm wondering if when I did my last water change, and I manually pulled the bryopsis off the rock, if some of that ended up going through the overflow, got stuck, and continued to grow.  Which would explain why it is where it is. 

If I continue to pluck, it will only get worse.  I don;t really have the option to pull each piece out and work on the effected area.  I mean, I guess I could, but too many rocks are on this one rock and it would mean, unstacking and having to redo.  Who has the motivation to do that?  NOT ME!!  it won't go back together the same way.

I'm nervous about adding anything to the water, but I am hearing nothing but positive results in 10 days or less.  Has anyone here attempted to get rid of bryopsis using these capsules?

After doing some debating on whether to buy it or not.  I went ahead and bought the capsules.  Even if I don't decide to go through with it, at least I have them.  There was some talk how the price of the pills jumped by 20% within a week.  Just to avoid the next price increase, I bought 20 capsules (most you can buy).  17 are what is needed for my system (170 gallon).  If I decide to go through with it, I will report back.  I'm still interested in hearing any other members experiences with it.

Bryopsis? by Shawn D, on Flickr

« Last Edit: February 05, 2017, 21:16:40 by crankbait09 »

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2017, 21:20:29 »
I dosed fluconazole this past Wednesday. I dosed 20 mg per gallon. I'm only going up against gha, not bryopsis. No I'll effect on anything in my tank. It takes longer to see effects on gha according to all I have read.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2017, 21:27:53 »
I saw that about GHA too.  A lot of good reviews, that's for sure!

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2017, 20:30:56 »
I am on day 5. Gha in the higher light is turning white now.

It costs HOW much?!

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2017, 14:09:03 »
Okay, stupid question time, how can someone tell the difference between byrosis and gha?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 14:11:57 »
only way I could tell was by pictures.  If you click on the link in the OP, they have pictures of it shown throughout the thread.  To me it was an obvious difference.  Especially the fern like leaves.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2017, 18:41:56 »
Came home to an overflowing filter sock. Full of gha. Today is day 6 of the 14 day treatment. So far it's looking good. Much better results than vibrant for me.

It costs HOW much?!

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2017, 19:27:06 »
look what came in today :)

by Shawn D, on Flickr

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2017, 21:29:04 »
look what came in today :)

by Shawn D, on Flickr
Awesome!  About 70% of mine is turning white and falling off in clumps

It costs HOW much?!

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2017, 21:44:27 »
Interested to see the results of this, my tank had huge outbreak of either bryopsis or gha, i suspect bryopsis as it's tenacious and quite difficult to remove.  I've been manually removing for a while but ugh who has the time to do that every week?  I'm also at the point in my tanks life where i literally do not care anymore; i had a beautiful 20g that i upgraded to a 40g with sump and the thing has been a disaster from day one.  so long as this treatment doesn't affect fish i'd try it, if the rest of my corals die, well like i said, i don't care.

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2017, 22:48:39 »
vickiwilson

I am sure you have read the link from the OP, but after all the pages I've read on it, I have yet to hear one disaster story.  I haven't read one thing about loss of fish or coral.  I have these pills for when I decide to go through with it, if I do.  Like anyone else, it's the fear of something going wrong in the process.  But out of all the success stories, it definitely leaves me optimistic.  Not sure if you have seen this, but there was an update by one of the members.  It is a 65 page thread but it lists all that went on, along with others chiming in as well.  Definitely a good read.  Looks like a couple people lost an emerald crab, but they don't know if it was a temperature swing or what.  All other livestock was fine.  so it's to be said why the emerald died, but it did.  heres the thread to that blog: http://reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

There was a reefer on another forum that was hit hard with bryopsis.  At the time, I don't believe he knew of Flunco.  He shut his whole tank down and restarted from square 1.  All the time, money, and effort he put in that tank, he ended up throwing in the towel.  It's sad, but with a "cure" for it, like this, it's kinda hard to not at least try it.

I have three spots of bryopsis.  Nothing major, just a few strands.  SO I'm definitely not in dire need to start this treatment.  I'm going to continue to follow the OP thread and see what the continuing feedback is.  I think there are some that did this treatment 4 months ago, and have no side effects or grow back.

with zero fish dying from any of the users, i would honestly give it a shot.  It could definitely save you!

From what I read, the price went up within the last couple weeks.  I could only imagine it will continue to rise if they keep selling at the rate they are.  SO you might want it act on it now.

If you do decide to go through with it, please repost your results as you go along.  I will be doing the same.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 23:23:20 by crankbait09 »

Offline vickiwilson

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2017, 08:29:48 »
vickiwilson

I am sure you have read the link from the OP, but after all the pages I've read on it, I have yet to hear one disaster story.  I haven't read one thing about loss of fish or coral.  I have these pills for when I decide to go through with it, if I do.  Like anyone else, it's the fear of something going wrong in the process.  But out of all the success stories, it definitely leaves me optimistic.  Not sure if you have seen this, but there was an update by one of the members.  It is a 65 page thread but it lists all that went on, along with others chiming in as well.  Definitely a good read.  Looks like a couple people lost an emerald crab, but they don't know if it was a temperature swing or what.  All other livestock was fine.  so it's to be said why the emerald died, but it did.  heres the thread to that blog: http://reef2reef.com/threads/bryopsis-cure-my-battle-with-bryopsis-using-fluconazole.285096/

There was a reefer on another forum that was hit hard with bryopsis.  At the time, I don't believe he knew of Flunco.  He shut his whole tank down and restarted from square 1.  All the time, money, and effort he put in that tank, he ended up throwing in the towel.  It's sad, but with a "cure" for it, like this, it's kinda hard to not at least try it.

I have three spots of bryopsis.  Nothing major, just a few strands.  SO I'm definitely not in dire need to start this treatment.  I'm going to continue to follow the OP thread and see what the continuing feedback is.  I think there are some that did this treatment 4 months ago, and have no side effects or grow back.

with zero fish dying from any of the users, i would honestly give it a shot.  It could definitely save you!

From what I read, the price went up within the last couple weeks.  I could only imagine it will continue to rise if they keep selling at the rate they are.  SO you might want it act on it now.

If you do decide to go through with it, please repost your results as you go along.  I will be doing the same.

Thanks for the link; i read the original post and all links associated with that.

I'm going to give this a try, i'll post the link to my thread when i get it up and going. 

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2017, 19:59:07 »
As I have mentioned, I bought the capsules, and will be dosing my tank as soon as I type this.

I will be turning my skimmer off for a few days.  I will turn it back on Sunday night or Monday morning.
I have taken gfo and carbon offline.

I am not dosing anything else.  Just using straight flucon

I will report back as soon as I see positive or negative results.  I wish my livestock luck...

Till then

oh and to note, here is my livestock that is ALIVE at this point......

(2) percula clowns
(2) chalk bass
(2) fire fish
(1) orange prawn goby
(1) starry blenny
(1) serpent sea star
(1) red sea star
(3) peppermint shrimp
(2) bumble bee snails
mixed reef corals
snails/scarlet hermits
« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 20:32:50 by crankbait09 »

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2017, 16:10:48 »
mtamorrow - How's yours going?  I believe you are on day 9 now?
I am going on 24 hours, in a few.  did you remove your gfo/carbon/skimmer when doing this?

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2017, 20:05:06 »
It's going great!  It's falling off in clumps and what's left  has turned white as well. I removed gfo. Rarely run carbon. Left skimmer run.

It costs HOW much?!

Offline kellyj

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2017, 20:48:43 »
Mike,
Do you have any macro algae (cheato or others)?  Have they been affected?  I'm ready to give up on Vibrant working in my display on my hair algae; ready to try your solution.
Kelly

Offline Reef Tank 2.0

• Adult
  • Shawn
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2017, 21:46:30 »
I read from other users that the macroalgae (chaeto) wasnt effected.  I do not have any so I cannot chime in on that.

As of right now I have my GFO on, but carbon completely off.  still no skimmer.