2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Turf Scrubber or Macro Algae reactor  (Read 1530 times)

Offline Miles

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Turf Scrubber or Macro Algae reactor
« on: February 26, 2018, 09:17:36 »
Looking to pick up something that will help control my nuisance algae problems. Just curious which one would work out better for this.

My gut tells me that a turf scrubber would work better because it is cultivating a simpler form of algae. Anyone have experience with either one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline erky

• Adult
Re: Turf Scrubber or Macro Algae reactor
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2018, 09:42:35 »
Looking to pick up something that will help control my nuisance algae problems. Just curious which one would work out better for this.

My gut tells me that a turf scrubber would work better because it is cultivating a simpler form of algae. Anyone have experience with either one?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

give us some info about your setup, can you run a fuge with a good light, or just looking for something smaller.

I added a H380 and now cant keep up with the algaes demand for NO3!

Offline Miles

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 14:25:23 »
I've got a 150gal setup with a 100gal (more like 60 gal actually used) stock tank as a sump and about another 70gals of smaller tanks also tied into the system. I do have room in my sump to throw some macro in there, but my sump isn't really compartmentalized and is mostly full of live rock. I figured that by going with some sort of reactor/scrubber would be more effective giving me better a chance of actually tackling the hair and slime algae issues that I have.

Offline erky

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2018, 14:39:02 »
I've got a 150gal setup with a 100gal (more like 60 gal actually used) stock tank as a sump and about another 70gals of smaller tanks also tied into the system. I do have room in my sump to throw some macro in there, but my sump isn't really compartmentalized and is mostly full of live rock. I figured that by going with some sort of reactor/scrubber would be more effective giving me better a chance of actually tackling the hair and slime algae issues that I have.

id do a macro reactor then, a scrubber can be just as good, but id prefer it to be contained to a compartment than just flowing in the sump. Doing it this way would be less of a risk of getting the gha in the display.