Welcome to Ohio Reef!

As a guest you can only see a small portion of our online content. Please register it is free and only takes a minute. Click here to Register now. 

Author Topic: Magnesium Question - High Levels?  (Read 1002 times)

Offline Agame43

• Premium Member
  • Adult
Magnesium Question - High Levels?
« on: April 07, 2018, 23:24:37 »

Has anyone ever heard of Magnesium binding to your substrate at very high levels? I have been dosing Mag with a 3 part and my level must be over 1550ppm after measuring - I use Salifert kit for testing. I ask this question because I read it in another Forum of High Magnesium binding to someone's substrate - as an observation I do see a really odd clumping or binding of my substrate since I started using this new 3 part??? I have taken this dose part out for now and will observe what happens, may do some water changes as well to help lower the current Mag levels.

Thoughts - Thanks for reading, Rick    :not speak:   :hmmmm:  :th_doh:

Offline Reeferntraining

• Premium Member
  • Elder
Re: Magnesium Question - High Levels?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 08:39:26 »
Rick, I have not heard of Mg binding to the substrate, but I have experienced Phosphate binding to precipitated calcium.

When I ran my Mg really low last year, I had that clumping sand situation. My Mg was around 1150 I believe.

Online jjoos99

• Premium Member
  • Elder
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 08:41:10 »
Higher ph and alk will cause clumping.  If your mag is high your alk might also be high.  You might need to adjust your 3 part.  Reeferintraining is having high mag issues now and suspecting problems with his sps from it.  I remember from years ago aquavista99 running alk in the 10-11 range and having his sand crusting over.  That would be what I would look at first.
Jeff

Offline Agame43

• Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 11:34:27 »

Reeferntraining / jjoos99 thanks for your replies. As you mention jjoos99 my substrate does get a "crust like build up" on it - great to mention, it cleans up ok just looks weird. I am in the process of lowering my Alk as well, currently in the 9.3 - 10 range and I have dialed back my Mag as well.

Thanks for the insights, always a help!

Online jjoos99

• Premium Member
  • Elder
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 13:54:21 »
I know a lot of people like a little higher alk but if I see I'm over 9 I am dialing things back. I start to see sps issues with the higher alk.
Jeff

Club Tools

Par Meter

Fish Trap

Thermometer

Suction Cups

Manjo Wand

Laser

Chemistry Kit

Hole Saws

Frag Saw

Chiller