2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: stupid diamond goby  (Read 2662 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
stupid diamond goby
« on: August 23, 2018, 22:44:37 »
I received a little diamond goby last week and had it in a 30 qt tank with egg crate over top of it.  Tonight I couldnt find the fish anywhere in the tank.  3 feet away I found it on the floor all dried up.  I was wanting to put him into my 210 after qt.  Anyone keeping one without a tank lid?  I am thinking with the 24 in tank height a new one might not jump.  Any suggestions?
Jeff

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: stupid diamond goby
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2018, 13:25:57 »
They are jumpers. In my QT as soon as the lights come on, I move the lid or move around they freak out and swim straight to the top. The can jump 4 feet out of the water easy and frequently. Go for a pink spot goby. They can jump as well but not very often and I have kept them without lids. Some fish swim down when startled others swim up. The diamond goby goes up

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2018, 14:50:22 »
I have a pink spot and even though I keep a lid (or my orange back wrasse would be jerky), I have never seen him at the top and when scared he heads straight for the rocks.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
stupid diamond goby
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2018, 15:57:55 »
Funny how everyone has different stories.

I have a pink spot as well now.

When Keith92 visited earlier this year, he helped me assemble my screen top.

There is only 1 opening and that’s where the eheim feeder fits in.

We put the lid on, installed the feeder “tube” into the opening and sat down to look at it.

Wasn’t 5 minutes later the pink spot launched itself strait up and out the feeder tube, down the wall and onto the floor behind the tank!

Keith rescued him quickly and to this day he doesn’t leave the sand bed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2018, 16:26:03 »
Jeff, I thought I had mentioned that to you. On the 75 I use glass tops on 75% of the top and my Kole tang chased my diamond out of that slight opening. They are definitely jumpers. The pink spots are cool too and seem to go no higher than mid tank but they are nowhere near the sand cleaners that the diamond is. My pink spot seems to just make piles of sand instead of close sifting all over like the diamond.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2018, 18:40:43 »
I did rember you saying they were jumpers but I thought the egg crate would stop it. The only opening other then the small egg crate was maybe a 1in by 1 in opening around the skimmer. It was small enough it probably made it through the egg crate.
Jeff

Offline Jesterrace

• Fry
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2018, 15:57:46 »
They are jumpers. In my QT as soon as the lights come on, I move the lid or move around they freak out and swim straight to the top. The can jump 4 feet out of the water easy and frequently. Go for a pink spot goby. They can jump as well but not very often and I have kept them without lids. Some fish swim down when startled others swim up. The diamond goby goes up

After owning two of them with a lid, I have to say I won't own another one for quite some time.  I switched to conch snails and they do the same job (and more, since they eat detritus) and don't create a sand storm in your tank.