2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Hello  (Read 2064 times)

Offline War ape

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Hello
« on: November 25, 2015, 07:39:34 »
Hello everyone name is Drew. I'm 32 and live in Beavercreek area and am somewhat new to hobby,  I read a lot about it and have picked a ton of information up from talking and reading.  I'm running a 90 gallon display tank and getting ready to set up frag tank.  Look forward to getting to meet some local reefers.  My system has been pieced together over a few years but is not shabby.  I'm running a geo calcium reactor, LEDs, have a dump I'm getting ready to replace with 4 ft reffrugium, all controlled with a reef keeper elite and 4 pc4.  I'm looking to gain more knowledge daily.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Hello
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2015, 09:42:48 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef.

If you have a few minutes, do a tank profile.   We love to see pictures

Offline War ape

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2015, 10:04:12 »
I will take some and add this weekend. Not much yet but I just got it over the break in cycle, inherited a bunch of stuff from friend that tore his down so I had super cycle as I had lots of water and rock for boost in bacteria.  Nitrates, nitrites, and ammonia all steady at zero. Combating alge outbreak currently as I wanted the tank as dirty as possible to finish cycle, kicked on protein skimmer and added a cleaner crew of snails and hermits...... I tell you what I added 1 turbo snail and he is a total pig! Can clean a basketball size rock in a weeken by himself.  Only drawback is he is bulldozer and knocks over everything in his path.  He is golf  ball size himself. 

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2015, 10:09:04 »
Do you know what kind of algae it is?  There are some that will infest a tank, but more than likely, if a turbo ate it, it is just common hair algae.   If you have an algae problem already, that could be signs of the rocks containing lots of phosphates.  Did you see the tank at your friends house when it was running?   What did it look like.

Offline Gary

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2015, 12:53:50 »
Drew,
Welcome to the club! I'm Gary. Some call me Silver Back. LOL. Keeping algae under control is a never ending! This hobby is neck deep in Chemistry. The group has an incredible experience and knowledge base to pull from.
Good Luck!
Gary

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2015, 13:48:42 »
The more you learn,  the more you will want to learn.  This forum is a great group of reefers. Looking forward to meeting you at an event.

Offline AJ

• Adult
  • A.J.
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2015, 13:50:14 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef! Post up some photos in the Tank Profiles section, while you are there take a look at what the other members have to offer, some of the reefs are amazing.

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2015, 13:51:58 »
Welcome to the greatest addiction ever lol. If you need coral or fish check Lazys Coral House out. Great guy to deal with and hands down heathiest and most colorful coral around. Plus he will let you pick his brain if needed 👍🏻