2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Want to say hello.  (Read 2370 times)

Offline JMM

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Juvenile
Want to say hello.
« on: July 22, 2016, 11:26:14 »
I just started visiting this site and thought I might make myself known. My name is Jim and I live in the rural Lima area. It's been 30 years since I had a reef tank and that was some experience. 30 long with a home made sump and various corals and anemones and feather dusters and a flame clam. Live rock was some phenomenal stuff back then with all the goodies you got.  Reefs were very young in the hobby and it wasn't easy keeping stuff alive. Heat was the big issue. Never lost my love of the reef though and with the advancements in the hobby Iam looking at getting a tank again. It's been fun and yet overwhelming to try wrapping my head around all the elements and requirements involved in establishing a reef. Big or small, controller or not, led or not. You get my drift.  It's starting to come together in my mind now and I hope to soon have a tank bought and start making progress. My goal, 100/125 tank, sump and refugium in the basement, ro system in place and then get the test kits and go from there. Hope to have everything in place by late fall, early winter. As for fish, my one and only real desire is to try a CBB.Always wanted one but never had the nerve. Time will tell.
Have a great day ,
Jim

Offline Kenn

Re: Want to say hello.
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 12:05:25 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef Jim!
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 12:29:46 »
Welcome to the club!! 👍🏻

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 14:10:23 »
Welcome, keep looking, many times you can find great deals on used equipment

Offline TroyReeF

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 16:29:26 »
WELCOME!!

Online Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 17:54:03 »
Welcome to Ohio Reef!

Offline delta1190

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 18:58:26 »
Welcome to the Ohio Reef your life is now complete Reef On

Offline Topekoms

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 07:51:47 »
I just started visiting this site and thought I might make myself known. My name is Jim and I live in the rural Lima area. It's been 30 years since I had a reef tank and that was some experience. 30 long with a home made sump and various corals and anemones and feather dusters and a flame clam. Live rock was some phenomenal stuff back then with all the goodies you got.  Reefs were very young in the hobby and it wasn't easy keeping stuff alive. Heat was the big issue. Never lost my love of the reef though and with the advancements in the hobby Iam looking at getting a tank again. It's been fun and yet overwhelming to try wrapping my head around all the elements and requirements involved in establishing a reef. Big or small, controller or not, led or not. You get my drift.  It's starting to come together in my mind now and I hope to soon have a tank bought and start making progress. My goal, 100/125 tank, sump and refugium in the basement, ro system in place and then get the test kits and go from there. Hope to have everything in place by late fall, early winter. As for fish, my one and only real desire is to try a CBB.Always wanted one but never had the nerve. Time will tell.
Have a great day ,
Jim

Welcome and just a thought if you are looking for a tank around that size a 120 would be your best option the 4x2x2 foot print really makes it easier to scape and gives the tank a bit more depth. just my 2 cents

Offline JMM

• Juvenile
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 23:45:00 »
Thank you kindly for the welcome. I did purchase a 120 with a nice sump. Need a pump and heater. Also picked up a 55 for the refugium. Just need a quarantine tank now. Plan is to run from sump to refugium and on to the tank.
Thank you again.
Jim