2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Toxin Time - Please Read - Pulsing Xenia  (Read 1465 times)

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Toxin Time - Please Read - Pulsing Xenia
« on: April 06, 2018, 19:54:44 »

This article in on FOX News, Reef builders and R2R - A Must Read - PalyToxin got the entire family sick and pets in England from cleaning a rock with pulsing Xenia on it!!!

https://reefbuilders.com/2018/04/06/pulsing-xenia-toxin-hospitalizes-10/

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
Re: Toxin Time - Please Read - Pulsing Xenia
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2018, 22:14:20 »
That is some serious stuff.  The worst I have experienced is coral stings on my fingers.   The stings have swollen up and itch like crazy like a bug bite.  Have usually lasted several days
Jeff

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 22:59:45 »

Yikes, yea some of this stuff does not mess around, my worst was that I got some hammer slime get in a cut on my thumb while picking it back up, my thumb was killing me, my wrist was stiff and my arm hurt up to my armpit. I did go to the doctor and get some meds to get rid of that crap!

Offline merlin3

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2018, 08:32:16 »
I have experienced palytoxin a couple times. I did not know it could be caused by pulsing xenia as well though. The first sign of it for me is usually a metal taste in my mouth.

Offline Miles

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 08:27:42 »
I'm probably going to come off a little harsh here.....

But I'm fairly certain that  the Xenia weren't involved in the poisoning, I bet there were also some palys on that rock somewhere. This article while pointing out some very important information, was obviously written by someone who has no idea what they are talking about.

This guy pretty much has no excuse for what happened, he claims that he already knew about palytoxin... and "The engineer, who has kept largely tropical fish for around 12 years, said he was 'no amateur' and had thought he was aware of the dangers."

Keeping tropical fish for 12 years has nothing to do with whether or not he is an amateur.... just go to any of the marine aquarium Facebook groups (Addictive Reef Keeping is a good place to start) and you will find people who claim that they have been keeping fish for 20 years, but don't understand the basics of the nitrogen cycle, or proper quarantine processes, etc.

This hobby already has a black eye because of people like Snorkel Bob, Rene Umberger and For the Fishes, we don't need hobbyists doing stupid things and then ending up in the news.

The warning and info about Palytoxin has been out in the public for years, and if you haven't accidentally stumbled upon it, you probably shouldn't be involved in "the hobby" because you aren't doing your due diligence in learning to care for your tank and making sure it is safe.

*steps down from soapbox*  :th_madboom:

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 12:45:47 »
I pretty much agree with you Miles. I thought he had to have had some pallys somewhere.

We cut/trim back our Pulsing Xenia once a month and have never had issues. Are we just lucky? : )