2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Alk help  (Read 559 times)

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Alk help
« on: January 18, 2024, 13:40:53 »
In the past I?ve kept up water parameters using water changes.  However I?ve noticed my tank is using about 2.1 DKH in 24 hours.  Right now I?ve been raising it with soda powder, ph is 8.2, haven?t  checked calcium (had to order new regeant for my Hannah checker). Phos .04 via Hannah checker - tank 78 salinity 1.026

What is my best option to keep a stable alk level - it?s a 30 gallon jbj aio heavy LPS and a few sps -

Offline Steve

• Adult
Re: Alk help
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2024, 16:13:15 »
I have been using the BRS dosing pumps for years and like them. With a small system like that you could just figure out your rate of consumption for soda ash, calcium and mix it manually in Gatorade bottles or something and add daily or so while monitoring. I did this for a while with my 180 while the corals were getting established. Your corals look great by the way, nice setup. I think we underestimate the amount of Ca/DKH that healthy growing LPS, especially euphyllia use.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2024, 21:18:49 »
Ya right now I am just tracking my alk consumption before I start using soda ash.  I need to check my calcium levels as well.  Mixing by hand and doing very other day/every day doesn?t bother me:  the issue I?m worried about is when I travel for work and I don?t want to put more burden kn my wife looking over the tanks I have

Do your BRS pimps allow you to dose small
Amounts through out the day? Does it have an app/wifi connection. 

Ultimate goal is to determine avg alk/calc use then find the right amount to Dose daily to keep consistent

Thanks a lot of the corals I got form
Lazy and the tank is doing really well - it?s just consuming a lot

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2024, 23:15:06 »
BRS pumps do 1.1 ml per minute. No app or WiFi. I just use digital timers I picked up at Menards.

Offline Amstar

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2024, 12:18:34 »

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2024, 12:50:26 »
Looks pretty nice. Even at low volume the dosing pumps make life so much easier. If you get them I would like to follow along, as to how they work out.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2024, 15:05:06 by Steve »

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2024, 17:51:59 »
Tank looks great! Corals healthy. Nice job

Offline itsalifestyle

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2024, 16:34:25 »
very nice

Offline Jonbar1

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2024, 17:28:31 »
I just dose 2 part before bed every night with twin neck bottles. I prefer methods that let me dose equal amounts of calcium and alkalinity to make things easier.