2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Reef crystals for $20 a bucket  (Read 1576 times)

Offline merlin3

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Reef crystals for $20 a bucket
« on: August 31, 2019, 20:55:19 »
Just a heads up, it will probably expire soon but you can get up to 3 buckets of 160 gallon reef crystals for $20 a bucket. It will say $40 but when you go to checkout the price should change to $20 a bucket.
https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Ocean-Reef-Crystals-Aquariums/dp/B000HCLNQG

Offline cbell56

• Juvenile
Re: Reef crystals for $20 a bucket
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2019, 21:02:58 »
I ordered my three buckets

Offline Keith92

• Keith92
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2019, 21:03:32 »
Just ordered 3.
Thanks

Offline saltybuckeye

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2019, 21:05:11 »
Thanks for the heads up. Got mine also!

Offline dwarner73

• Fry
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2019, 22:15:24 »
Thank u grabbed 3 myself

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2019, 22:25:37 »
Wow. I’ve never used Reef crystals, but that is an unbelievable deal. Thanks!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2019, 22:32:13 »
sweet deal.  My wife doesnt know it yet but she bought 3 buckets for me on her account and I bought 3:)  dont know how they can sell it that cheap delivered.  Their loss my gain.
Jeff

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2019, 22:54:22 »
  Jesse can you explain further? Stunned by the expensive ones? I watched the video and it seemed that Tropic Marin Pro, Red Sea(I believe) and ESV came out on top for various topics? Reef Crystals got the nod for 'least expensive". Did I miss anything?

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2019, 10:40:08 »
Rick, Tropic Marin classic is $88 a bucket. I was stunned to see the alk go from 9.7 to 8 from the top to the bottom. The Mg & Ca were also a pretty big difference. Reef crystals also had quite a difference.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2019, 21:41:32 »
I seem to look at salt with a different perspective.  Most of us all dose for alk, mag, cal, and add aminos.  If we are only changing 10% once a week I dont see where this salt or that salt will make that big of a difference.  I have used several salts over the years and I cant say that I have ever noticed a difference.  AV99 who has been very good successful with his corals uses reefcrystals.  We all know the success that Lazy has and I believe he has used both reef crystals and live aquaria.  I have always bought the best deal I can find.
Jeff

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2019, 20:59:37 »
I agree with you Jeff and I also believe that the brand is not necessarily significant. What I do not like is the alk inconsistency. When a box of salt is labeled to be between 8.0-9.0 Alk at 35 salinity and when it comes, I make a batch of salt and it’s 8.5 I’m happy. Spot on to what I keep my tank. Which means no dosing changes. And then when I get to the bottom of the box, the alk is mixing at 11.3. Then I have to use muriatic acid to lower it and then aerate it for 4 hours to bring the pH back up. It’s all about the alk consistency that I get annoyed with.

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2019, 21:35:46 »

Jesse, JJoos99, great information guys. I have used Fritz Pro for about 2.5yrs with good results. I talked with the Fritz Pro rep at the Orlando MACNA and he said that one batch for them is equal to one pallet. From that pallet they lab check 'start - middle - end' of that batch for quality.

Cheers Rick

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: September 05, 2019, 22:05:47 »
My question is if we are only changing 10% of water with water that is higher or lower in alk will it actually make much of a difference in the tanks total alk?  Would be an interesting experiment.  How much will a 10% change with say 11 alk water actually change the tanks alk after the change?  sounds like a good test in the future.  In the past I have never bothered matching my alk unless I am doing a massive water change.  with a normal 10% change I just mix it up and go with it.
Jeff

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2019, 08:55:12 »
My question is if we are only changing 10% of water with water that is higher or lower in alk will it actually make much of a difference in the tanks total alk?  Would be an interesting experiment.  How much will a 10% change with say 11 alk water actually change the tanks alk after the change?  sounds like a good test in the future.  In the past I have never bothered matching my alk unless I am doing a massive water change.  with a normal 10% change I just mix it up and go with it.
Jeff

It just changes 10% of the difference in alk.

So if tank is @ 8 dkh, and new mix is @ 11 dkh, and a 10% water change is done, total alk change in tank = 10% x (11-8) or 0.1 x 3 which is 0.3

In this example, our tank goes from 8 alk to 8.3 alk.   No concern for me.

I actually do this every week,  as my tank runs close to 8 and I use reef crystals.  My dosing is simply adjusted accordingly to maintain weekly stability (the 8.3 will be back to 8 by next water change).

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2019, 11:08:54 »
Again, at $88 a bucket, I feel it should be more consistent. That’s all...

Offline andys1982

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2019, 14:35:55 »
I'd take this experiment with a "grain of salt" (pun intended)!

They only looked at one bucket of each brand.  Without control on storage, etc, their experiment is pretty much useless.  No indication of how that bucket of TM was handled/stored/aged compared to any of the other buckets. 

Offline aquavista99

« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 00:05:39 »
This was an amazing deal.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 07:23:28 »
Killed me how amazon delivered it. I ordered 6 buckets total, they took four trips out to deliver the six. Five of them came in a box that were totally destroyed and one by itself with a shipping sticker on it. Even put shipping paper in the boxes like that was going to do anything. Haha
Jeff

Offline dwarner73

• Fry
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 16:28:07 »
Killed me how amazon delivered it. I ordered 6 buckets total, they took four trips out to deliver the six. Five of them came in a box that were totally destroyed and one by itself with a shipping sticker on it. Even put shipping paper in the boxes like that was going to do anything. Haha
Jeff

Mine was sent the same way.