2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Activated Carbon Experience  (Read 3070 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
Activated Carbon Experience
« on: February 24, 2018, 09:23:59 »
Background: I lost my notepad, with all my tank notes, that I started keeping since day 1. So I quit using the iPhone notepad and started using the kindle and a spreadsheet. So, my notes only go back to mid December.

With that being said, everyone knows the struggle I’ve been through since November. I recently got some frags from Pip and they immediately started looking burnt. I have been backing my lights off daily with a total drop of about 20% over 2 weeks! Everything is looking very good and I’m seeing growth in corals that have been teetering for months. Well, I really need to understand why this is happening. Before the November crash, I used to run my lights almost maxed, so I am really puzzled at why I have had to back off the lights. Back when I had the lights maxed, my highest PAR was only 400. It HAS to be drastically lower at this point. The only thing I can link it to is adding activated carbon a while back. Did it polish the water so much that the lights are now penetrating the water column more efficiently and burning the corals?

Since I lost my notes, I can’t go back to see when I first added the carbon.

I welcome discussion on this and your experience.

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: Activated Carbon Experience
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2018, 09:54:00 »
I don’t have any experience with carbon. Seems to me that it would just add one more thing that could go wrong.

120 gallon mixed reef.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2018, 10:03:31 »
 BRS has a video about carbon and PAR. They take a bucket of tank water and a bucket of newly mixed saltwater. Must use a white bucket. You can clearly see how yellow the tank water is vs new water!  Then they take par readings before they run carbon for I think 3 days. There was a 20% increase in par!  You may be on to something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 10:07:29 »
I didn’t use it for the first 6 months of the tank running. I had to use it after dosing the Doxy to remove the medication. I did notice that it took the fishy smell out of the water and it definitely made the water crystal clear. So I’ve kept it. And I’m ok with running the lights lower if that’s what is causing it. Saves in energy. Just need to hear others’ experience.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2018, 22:45:42 »
BRS has a video about carbon and PAR. They take a bucket of tank water and a bucket of newly mixed saltwater. Must use a white bucket. You can clearly see how yellow the tank water is vs new water!  Then they take par readings before they run carbon for I think 3 days. There was a 20% increase in par!  You may be on to something.

Wow I must have been responding to Brian when you posted this and I just now noticed it. Excellent Find! I searched all morning trying to find information about it. This BRS video confirms my suspicion. Thanks for the info!

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2018, 08:05:47 »
Wow I must have been responding to Brian when you posted this and I just now noticed it. Excellent Find! I searched all morning trying to find information about it. This BRS video confirms my suspicion. Thanks for the info!
Because of that video, I run carbon for 3-4 days once a month or so. It’s amazing how many useful videos they put out!

It costs HOW much?!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2018, 09:20:25 »
Why only 3-4 days? I would think that the par would fluctuate back and forth. What would be the harm in just leaving it in there so the par remains constant? Im just playing devils advocate cuz Im really curious. : )

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 09:37:52 »
I have no real reason other than I don’t believe in keeping everything stripped out of a system and I don’t think it “ clouds up” after a week or so.   
Also, par fluctuates in nature based on clouds, and stuff every day.
And carbon isn’t cheap.
So, no real reason other than to keep odors away, water a little cleaner, and any toxins at bay.

It costs HOW much?!

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 16:11:43 »
The carbon expires in a few hours to a day or two. It is so effective at pulling yellowing agents it is used up fast. Doesn’t hurt leaving in but it doesn’t do a whole lot after a day or two. Usually adding once a month, will keep water smelling fresh and looking nice and clear. I add whenever my water has a fishy smell or needs a polish.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2018, 17:04:22 »
The carbon expires in a few hours to a day or two. It is so effective at pulling yellowing agents it is used up fast. Doesn’t hurt leaving in but it doesn’t do a whole lot after a day or two. Usually adding once a month, will keep water smelling fresh and looking nice and clear. I add whenever my water has a fishy smell or needs a polish.
Ditto. What the master said.

It costs HOW much?!

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2018, 12:45:59 »
Brian, so is the day or two timeframe the same for people that run carbon reactors?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2018, 13:27:30 »
 yes. It's gets used up even quicker because the water is forced through the carbon.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2018, 15:29:42 »
Interesting. Thanks Brian.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2018, 17:54:37 »
Can this thread be moved to my personal?