2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: shrimp dying help!!!!!  (Read 3968 times)

Offline larrynews

shrimp dying help!!!!!
« on: February 19, 2007, 09:53:34 »
ok here is the deal i cant keep shrimp alive for some reason, crabs fine snails fine, corals and fish fine, shrimp died.. nothing has changed in the past 3 years and i have always kept them, so here is the readings

90 reef, 180lbs of rock 2x400mh 20k

r/o water

salt 1.025
calcium 400-450
rites-0
rates-5-10
amm-0
ph8.5ish
phosphate .05
temp 82-83

other than the ph up from 8.3 nothing has changed, i put 2 new cleaner shrimp in today and they were died within 1 hour, so i'm at a lose i have asked joel about it and we cant figure anything out have no answer so here i come to you all....i might buy a copper test kit to see if somehow some copper got in not sure how or why but you never know...but i thought that the crabs and snails would be bothered by copper if its in...i run a wet/dry skimmer and uv sterilizer had always have again nothing has changed. it is very frustrating.thanks in advance

Offline Joel

• Adult
Re: shrimp dying help!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2007, 10:09:06 »
How did you acclimate the shrimp?

Do you know what the parameters are of the water the shrimp were in before you took them home?

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 10:52:46 »
its not copper it would affect the other inverts also.  I would say something about having enough iodine, possible molting issue, but cant be that since they are dying so quick.  I would look at where the shrimp came from, transpiration method to your tank, and acclimation method.

1.  Are the shrimp healthy to start?  Probably

2.  Are they getting shocked with heat or cold from the store to your house and tank?

3.  Are they being removed from the store tank correctly without damage?

4.  Are they acclimated properly to your tank? 

Now with number 4 I was never a big acclimator.  5 or 10 minutes and then into the tank.  Since your having such a problem you might need to set up the hour long drip method.  Not a fan personally but in your case might be worth a try.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2007, 15:38:31 »
If they are dying that quickly after being out in the tank I would suspect that they're probably not healthy from the get go and the stress of moving is doing them in.

Charlie

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2007, 16:19:02 »
I would have to agree with Gary here. Did you acclimate them slowly to your water?

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2007, 17:19:09 »
have you been keeping an eye on salinity?

Offline REDPYRO

• Hey Everybody!
  • Who did what now?
    • MrLevek Productions
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2007, 17:49:25 »
salinity - i had a "friend" who never kept up on her tank.  It would get to 1.018.  wouldnt hurt the tank but sure would sock anything you put in the tank. 

Offline larrynews

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2007, 18:54:06 »
salinity is the same as it has been the past 4 years 1.024ish, and acclimate very very slowly this time, because of the trouble in the past...

Offline ohioreef

• Founding Member
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2007, 19:26:52 »
Hmmmm.....sounds like you're doing everything right. My guess would have to be that they came in with something.

Offline saltybuckeye

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2007, 20:22:24 »
I have never had any luck buying shrimp from any store.No matter how slowly I would acclimate them they would die in under a week.I have had the cleaner shrimp I have now for about 2 years now(got it from a fellow reefer out of columbus)so I would have to guess it is just stress from all the sudden changes killing them.

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2007, 21:27:13 »
i didnt acclimate my last shrimp... just temp acclimation. still thriving to this day.

your nitrates may be too high for a shrimp to tolerate especially if they havent been in the shop for a couple weeks.

Offline SaltLife

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 22, 2007, 14:56:17 »
i had the same issue a few weeks ago when gerbers had that sale on cleaner shrimp, acclimated it to the tank, it swam to the bottom, acted ok, but was never seen again.
...where the salt meets your life