2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Another nem?  (Read 2738 times)

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
Another nem?
« on: August 02, 2014, 13:53:36 »
I have a gbta and I like it a lot, he's been doing quite well so far, and I really like nems. I've considered getting a sebae or carpet nem also (I also notice clowns like those better too). Would it be ok to add another? Is one easier to take care of then the other? Suggestions?

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Another nem?
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2014, 15:20:33 »
I've considered getting a sebae or carpet nem also (I also notice clowns like those better too). Would it be ok to add another? Is one easier to take care of then the other? Suggestions?
Both of these anemones get huge, I have kept both. My nephew had a sebae in a 120, it was the biggest nem I have ever saw. Not sure what type of carpet you are talking about the haddoni or gigantea but both get huge and the haddoni are notorious re-arrangers of rock work. Not to mention they will eat anything that touches them. Mine ate emerald crabs, hemits, large brittle star and even a sea urchin. I loved my carpet but it was just too big for my 90 and when it decided to move and it liked to move it literally destroyed my rock work. I have seen some keep them in large reef tanks but my recommendation is that they be kept it a species specific tank just for them. Neogenesis bought mine and had another in a 180 and ended up getting rid of them. The sebae I kept perished in a tank crash, didn't move much but it was very large.

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2014, 16:10:12 »
Aren't there mini carpets? Or are they just baby carpet nems?

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2014, 17:51:37 »
There are maxi minis.

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2014, 18:17:45 »
Well any suggestions on another nem? I just like the small flat discs and bright colors of carpets

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2014, 18:56:08 »
Well any suggestions on another nem? I just like the small flat discs and bright colors of carpets

Carpets are awesome, but I can assure you they don't stay small. When I got mine it was about 8" across when Scott got rid of it, it was almost 2 feet across. I like the BTA but they have their issues also. They split which is not necessarily bad, but when they split they usually travel. Mine just split and both nems are looking for that ideal spot. Pretty sure the maxi minis don't host, but they are sharp looking.
[imghttp://][/img]

Here is a picture of the one I had when it was still a baby.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 19:04:19 by Steve »

Offline SirPuffington

• Juvenile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2014, 20:22:33 »
Well what is a mini maxi then?

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2014, 20:24:52 »
Well what is a mini maxi then?

They are anemones but they don't host clownfish.

Offline volcano

« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2014, 13:51:30 »
Maxi minis comes in an assortment of colors.  They are typically very pretty, but very small.  In larger tanks, with a lot of rock work, the maxi minis tend to get lost within the rock.  I have several in my tank and they are all very hard to spot.  I tried to get them to attach to a rock in an area where they would be seen, but eventually all of them moved to a place where they are barely noticed.  Also, as mentioned they will not host clowns.  At least, none of my have.  They are just too small.

Carpet anemones are very cool looking.  However, liked mentioned they come with a ton of problems.  If you like your fish, don't buy one.  LOL.  Mine ate the clown it hosted one night.  They are so sticky, if anything bumps it, it's as good as gone.  If it moves it will destroy everything in it's path.  Some people even claim to get bad stings from them.  I can't personally say that I have had this experienced.  Although, one time I got to close to the carpet and it closed up on my hand.  It was so hard to pull off my hand.  It was like I had an octopus wrapped around me trying to eat my hand. lol

Offline Delerium

• Fry
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2014, 09:26:58 »
I have a green and yellow mini maxi in my 75, I bought him about 3 months ago from corals galore. I drip acclimated him for about two hours, turned off my power heads and set him on my sand bed ( sometimes they like sandbed sometimes they like rock work) so he could decide where he wanted to go. He ended up moving to about 3 inches to the closest rock work and stayed at the bottom of it ever since. I have a bonded pair of clowns that love to go into my BTA, frogspawn, and hammer (thank you volcano :) ) but they do no go to the mini maxi. I have never heard of clowns hosting them. He is quite simple to take care of, just eats the small pieces of leftover food floating around brine, mysis etc. I love having this  anemone! If you just want something cool to look at I recommend them because they do not grow huge an they add a lot of color. However, there was a small patch of pulsating Xenia on the rock that he chose and needless to say they're not there anymore. I imagine they can easily sting neighboring corals. Also, I have seen tanks thy house a few of the mini maxis next to each other. I recommend YouTube videos. Hope this helps!