2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Brine shrimp  (Read 1849 times)

Offline Dirka6363

• Fry
Brine shrimp
« on: August 16, 2015, 16:09:22 »
I started hatching some brine shrimp as a treat for the tank and so my 5 year old could do something fun.  I have been feeding them a day or so after hatching and my fish love chasing them around.  Now we would like to raise some to full grown and I was wondering if anyone had any experience or advice on the process.
120 mixed reef

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Brine shrimp
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 19:18:11 »
Grow some phyto plankton and feed that to the brine shrimp....   There is really no value for brine shrimp, or enriched brine....unless you are breeding some other creature that only eats live food.

Offline Dirka6363

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 20:27:07 »
I know they aren't super nutritious, but my son likes doing it and our 8 chromis seem to enjoy chasing them around.  And the babies may end up being eaten by the mandarin.  Raising them to adulthood is more just to see if we can and I might as well feed em to the tank lol.  Thanks for the advice on the phyto, that's what we have in there now but I am not sure what to give them when/if they get bigger.
120 mixed reef

Offline Miles

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 11:00:38 »
They will eat pretty much anything you give them as long as they can fit it in their mouth. I had some that I just fed finely ground flake food and they got pretty "big".  I quit feeding them and after a few months still had a few...