2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Pencil Urchin  (Read 2600 times)

Offline War ape

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Fry
Pencil Urchin
« on: December 28, 2015, 22:29:37 »
To my surprise I turned on light in tank tonight and found pencil urchin on frag rack. What was he doing looks like he ate my week old ricordea.  I haven't noticed a problem with him touching any other corals but it looks like the plug is totally cleaned.  Anyone else have similar experience?
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 22:40:07 by War ape »

Offline War ape

• Fry
Re: Pencil Urchin
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 22:43:58 »
Frag was covered in coralline algae, perhaps that what he was really after? Notice in photos the gravel like substance he made out of frag plug it was coming out the top of him.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2015, 00:32:59 »
did you witness the urchin eating the ric?  Just wondering if the Ric detached and is hiding wherever the flow took him
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline War ape

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2015, 07:13:18 »
Yes he was on top actively munching away at plug when I found him.  Looks like tiny piece of it may still be attached to plug.  Was pushing what Looks like tiny pieces of plug out his top. Second Photo shows pieces I am referring to. 

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2015, 07:32:40 »
Most Urchins eat coralline algae, which is what he was probably after..but pencil urchins are normally classified as "not reef safe"

Offline War ape

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2015, 09:01:28 »
Well lights were just coming on this morning and a small piece of coral still remains.... hopefully it is just receded and not devoured beyond repair.  I will let it have day under lights and post pic of what it looks like tonight.  I have done a bit of digging myself and pencil urchins typically do not eat corals but it has been know to happen.  Although its not fully reef safe I have never had any issues with him before eating any corals, now he has been known to decorate himself with one and carry it around the tank proudly showing off his bling. Currently I think he is on probation but if he violates I think I will have to sentence him to prison in the sump or relocate to new home.