2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: splitting rainbow bubbletip anemone  (Read 6747 times)

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
splitting rainbow bubbletip anemone
« on: January 04, 2016, 17:21:40 »
Well, my rainbow bubble tip anemone is in the process of splitting. It is still connected in the back a little. Any tips on removing one of them from the rock? Also, I read a little on propagating them yourself by cutting them in half. I didn't want to try this my one, but now that I will have two i might try it. Anyone have success with this? Im not sure what they are worth. Anyone know how much to price them at?

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
Re: splitting rainbow bubbletip anemone
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2016, 18:17:34 »
If you can get the rock out ive had luck getting there foot detached with a credit card. Just have to be careful not to damage the foot.

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2016, 18:18:17 »
A nice size rainbow goes for 40 to 50 bucks maybe.

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2016, 18:51:37 »
$40 is what I was thinking. I know I've seen them in LFS for a whole lot more. Anyone have luck with manually splitting them?

Offline Kenn

• Lifetime Premium Member
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 20:14:17 »
If you can, direct a flow of water at it. That is how I always moved mine.

Its not a instant process but they usually let go/move around in a few hours. if not just increase the flow
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline josbur63

• Fry
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 20:21:50 »
I had a green bubble tip split several times a year in my 125.What I did was use an ice cube at their base,that loosens their grip,and then you can get your fingers under them and gently pry them off the rock.I did this several times,does not hurt the anemone.I also sold mine $20-30 for green,$40-50 for rose.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2016, 21:20:07 »
I cut mine with a sharp pair of scissors.  Just cut it in half down the middle top to bottom so that you split the mouth in half.  Feels like you will kill it but other then it screaming with pain it is all good.  :-)
Jeff

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:22:53 »
I think I'm going to let it chill out for a week or so and then try cutting it in half. I think I'm going to try and put a basket of some sort in the tank  for them to recover in. Hopefully they will stay in there.

Offline War ape

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 14:17:37 »
To get it out aim jet at it and increase flow..... if that doesn't work don't try prying out it could damage.... you can always place rock its attached to upside down over bucket and get gravity to aid in release.   

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2016, 15:09:08 »
Hopefully I can catch it walking around and move it. How long do you guys suggest to wait before attempting g to cut it in half? Thanks  everyone for the responses.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2016, 20:18:42 »
Need to just monitor it for when you can see that the mouth has fully healed from the split.  I probably would give it several weeks to a month.  The natural split will be enough stress on the nem.  Give it some time to heal and mellow out.
Jeff

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2016, 11:00:05 »
How's the nem doing? or is it "nem's" now?
It costs HOW much?!

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 12:41:59 »
After 14 hours of aiming a powerhead at it, it finally started to let go a little bit. I then was able to coax it off the rock. It took about ten minutes to gently "talk" it off the rock. Thanks to everyone for the help. I put the second nem in a basket, I'm going to wait a few weeks for it to chill out. Both nems are doing good, I think. I'll post a follow up after cutting one. I'm leaving the other one where its at in the display tank. I only plan on splitting the one. I guess that will give me time to work up to cutting. Hey, it looks easy on the internet.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 13:21:03 »
Congratulations on your successful nem removal  :-ThumbUpsm
Currently doing a 75g build | http://ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=16275.0| tanks of the past : 26g Bowfront LPS and Fish| http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=4858.0 || 37g a little of everything | http://www.ohioreef.com/index.php?topic=7751.0

"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. Fifteen hundred years ago everybody knew the Earth was the center of the universe. Five hundred years ago, everybody knew the Earth was flat, and fifteen minutes ago, you knew that humans were alone on this planet. Imagine what you'll know tomorrow."   < K >

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 15:31:00 »
I had one for a couple of years that would never split.  Got to be almost a dinner plate size.  I aimed a power head at it to coax it to move and the stress of the powerhead caused it to split.  I then cut the clone like your are planning on doing.  worked out well
Jeff

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2016, 10:30:33 »
oldschool........how are the 2 nems doing now?  did they really scream when you made the cut!
It costs HOW much?!

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2016, 10:37:59 »
I haven't actually done any cutting yet. The one split on its own, so I now have two and they are both doing great.  I'm waiting another week or so do cut one. I REALLY hope the scream comment was a joke, I think I'd pass out if I it actually screamed. Lol

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2016, 10:43:39 »
let me know how it goes.........I may add another bubble tip! I don't think the scream is to loud since you're cutting the mouth in half!
It costs HOW much?!

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2016, 11:55:26 »
I haven't actually done any cutting yet. The one split on its own, so I now have two and they are both doing great.  I'm waiting another week or so do cut one. I REALLY hope the scream comment was a joke, I think I'd pass out if I it actually screamed. Lol
It is just a joke.  but watch out when they reach up and slap you.  It feels as if you are going to kill the nem and boy is it all slimy but they should both be well in a day or so.  I left mine in a small plastic container and they were fine.
Jeff

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2016, 20:39:21 »
What was one anemone is now 2 half anemones. We'll see how they do. Hopefully I got through the mouth and foot equally.

Offline Kenn

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2016, 20:43:48 »
Very nicely done. good luck   :-ThumbUpsm

Offline Steve

• Adult
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2016, 20:50:33 »
What was one anemone is now 2 half anemones. We'll see how they do. Hopefully I got through the mouth and foot equally.

Looks like you did a good job. I know when they split naturally they do not always split evenly, sometimes even in thirds.

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2016, 21:53:55 »
That's awesome oldschoolcoupe.  Let me know when one is ready to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #23 on: February 24, 2016, 14:03:37 »
How are the nems doing oldschoolcoupe?  Haven't heard from you in a while

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2016, 13:50:01 »
Both nems are doing great. I think I'm almost ready to split them again. Full recovery took about a week and a half or so. They are both eating well and back to about the same size as the original.

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2016, 21:42:58 »
Nice work here!  I have a green I thinking of splitting