2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Blue maxima can't make up its mind  (Read 2997 times)

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
Blue maxima can't make up its mind
« on: February 28, 2016, 11:06:56 »
Got a small maxima from coral cove 2 weeks ago. Spent a week midway up the tank with a happy mantle. Has spent the past week jumping off of rock work and moving around. No mantle the past week as he has been moving. I'm guessing he wants a different spot?  Anyone else ever deal with this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Blue maxima can't make up its mind
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2016, 12:46:40 »
How small is it?  Anything under 3" is small, and you may need to target feed it.
Was it attached to rock when you got it? 

Getting a clam to reattach to rock can be tricky.  I've not had Maximas, but did keep Crocea clams for a while.  Your best bet is to find a spot where the clam is wedged a little bit to make it not easy to moved.   Just make sure it's where you want the clam long term, because once they attach, getting them free of the rock can lead to injury and death.

Here is some good information.  http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Care-of-Tridacnid-Clams

Offline mtamorrow

• Mike's Red Sea Reefer
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2016, 13:24:09 »

How small is it?  Anything under 3" is small, and you may need to target feed it.
Was it attached to rock when you got it? 

Getting a clam to reattach to rock can be tricky.  I've not had Maximas, but did keep Crocea clams for a while.  Your best bet is to find a spot where the clam is wedged a little bit to make it not easy to moved.   Just make sure it's where you want the clam long term, because once they attach, getting them free of the rock can lead to injury and death.

Here is some good information.  http://animal-world.com/Aquarium-Coral-Reefs/Care-of-Tridacnid-Clams
its about 2". It was attached well for a week and now just keeps moving around. I will get food and target feed when I get home in a few days. Thanks for the advice. Everyone else seems to have clammed up!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It costs HOW much?!

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2016, 13:36:59 »
If it detached itself, then it may just not have liked the spot......

The best way to deal with 2" clams is to put a small rock on your sandbed, then try to get the clam to attached to that rock....perhaps put a pvc tube to perch the clam on with the rock inside of the tube.   To spot feed, cut the top off of a 2L bottle.   Cover the clam with the bottle, and shoot some phytoplankton in and set the cap on the opening.....

Offline soldiers4christ50

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2016, 13:45:44 »
Agree with wall tank need to spot feed til it is at least 4 inches I have one that's about 6 to 7 inches and do not have to spot feed.