2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: How long before adding bubbletip anemones?  (Read 2629 times)

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
How long before adding bubbletip anemones?
« on: October 03, 2016, 12:53:37 »
I'm starting a tank dedicated to propagating bubbletips. It is a very basic setup. 29 gallon, air stone skimmer, powerhead, heater, ebay LED light and a hang on aquaclear filter. I put the filter foam and ceramic bio-rings in my established reef tank about 4 months ago to get them seeded with bacteria. Should I use any "water change" water from the existing setup or use all new saltwater? Also, I know nems are best only introduced to established tanks due their sensitivity to swings. But, with this being a dedicated system for only nems could they be introduced earlier. It will be a bare bottom tank with maybe one or two small fish down the road. Will the bio-rings be enough biological filtration for this small bioload? Should I get some kind bio block for additional biological filtration? Any input is appreciated. Thanks everyone.

Offline muttley000

• Juvenile
Re: How long before adding bubbletip anemones?
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2016, 20:24:24 »
Could work filtration wise, your tests will tell you.  I'd wait 6 months on the nem,,plenty of time to sort out the bio load vs. filtration.

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2016, 20:57:04 »
Will there be any live rock?

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 21:00:57 »
I wasn't planning on any. I was going to use the ceramic bio rings and possibly use a marinepure bio block to supplement live rock. I want the nems to be easily removed.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 21:27:08 »
Opinion here but I do think it will be enough (rings/foam) for ammonia and nitrite, but you will have to change water or carbon dose for nitrate removal, unless you plan to feed a bunch to grow the nems. If you will be feeding heavy consider a large marine pure block in the bottom of the 29.

I have a marinepure block in a 90 with 0 live rock together with a large purple tang and melanurus wrasse.  No ammonia or nitrites. Nitrates had climbed to 20 after a while so I started carbon dosing. Now they are nearly 0.

I have a marinepure block in a 29 with minimal and it doesn't get ammonia, nitrite, nitrates or phosphates with minimal water changes.

I have seen threads on reef2reef that marinepure leaches Aluminum but this hasn't seemed to impact anemones.  Leathers can be negatively impacted according to this legend.

Troyreef has a couple in his sump I believe.

Offline oldschoolcoupe

• Juvenile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 21:50:47 »
I'm leaning towards getting a bio block. I just wondered how much water would actually pass through it. I've never carbon/vodka dosed before. Hopefully water changes will keep up.

Offline Humphrey

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 23:47:53 »
For nitrate reduction you don't want much flow. It's ok at the bottom of the tank.

In the short run I think you'll be OK either way providing you complete some water changes to export any bad stuff.  I quarantine fish with bio seeded media and it usually works pretty well.  For more insurance, you could add a bottle of bio spira at the time you first add them.  It's good stuff for new tanks.