2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: going to buy some berghia nudibranch  (Read 3122 times)

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
going to buy some berghia nudibranch
« on: September 24, 2017, 14:16:37 »
I am going to buy some Berghia Nudibranchs for aptasia control in my reef tank.  Just wondering if anyone is interested in going in on a buy for them.  so far what I have found is 15 of them for $145 shipped.  From all I have read it is recommended to have at least 6 so they can pack feed and breed.  If anyone is interested in ordering some of these please lmk and we can come up with a plan or maybe a small group buy for them.  There is a guy on ebay selling them who is in ohio but he hasnt responded to me to find out where he is for possible local pickup. 
thanks
Jeff

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
Re: going to buy some berghia nudibranch
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2017, 14:22:30 »
I'm willing to go in for 2 or 3 of them! The peppermints have been bullied around by my skunk shrimp and won't come out to eat them.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2017, 14:52:09 »
Just read up on these. What happens when all aptasia is gone, massive die off?

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2017, 15:11:58 »
Yes from what I have read they will slowly die off. I do have to wonder if the aptasia will reseed themselves like they do when using chemical treatments. If so they might get to a balance point where their population will match the food supply. You can also donate them to someone else that put them to work.
Be mindful that wrasse will make a quick meal of them. I just rehomed my wrasse today so I can get started with these nudibranches.
Jeff

Offline Grymtooth

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2017, 15:21:12 »
No wrasses left in my tank, stress and ammonia did him in. Now all I have is:
Display: 2 skunks shrimp, 2 sexy shrimp, 3 peppermint shrimp, and who know how many hermits and snails
Qt: yellow watchman, pink spot watchman, blur chromis

Which is why we were rethinking the tank theme.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2017, 20:37:37 »
Jessie
  I just read this on reeftown's web site.  Thought you should read it before you decide to purchase any of these nudis
Jeff

Q: What eats Berghia?
A: There are several common inhabitants found in aquariums that can feed on your Berghia population. It is best not to have any, but having a predator doesn’t necessarily mean you can’t have Berghia, but they will impact them. The more predators you have, the greater the risk of not achieving a viable Berghia population. Aggressive shrimp, such as, Peppermint shrimp, and Camel shrimp pose some of the largest threats. Many wrasses, as well will seek out Berghia. Most fish, however, don’t care for the taste of the Berghia because they incorporate the aiptasia’s nematocysts within their tissues. Some crabs (the Sally Lightfoot) and Bristle Worms can do damage as well.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2017, 21:02:00 »
Thanks for thinking about me Jeff. I've steered away from the nudibranchs because that's all they eat. I don't want them to die. I've only got 3 very small polyps. Plus, I have 2 wrasse. The 3 things I have may still be hydroids, but I'm pretty sure they're aiptasia. I think I'm gonna try the laser if the club has one. They're in a position where I could get them without damaging anything else.