2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: sick clam  (Read 11264 times)

quicksilver

sick clam
« on: April 17, 2008, 11:59:10 »
I need some adive i have a big Crocea Clam about 6+ inches open and even bigger with mantel spread out. last couple of days its been retracting can any one in the beavercreek area help me maybe come over take a look i will post a picture be a shame to lose him i am scared he will not make it. :(    :(    :(    :(    :(    :(    :(    :(

Offline mdcoblentz

• Juvenile
Re: sick clam
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008, 13:27:51 »
i would do a big water change and a possible a freshwater dip. I had two die on me in about a 2 week span. I had both of them for over a year... don't know what happened.  Look for pyramid snails around the base and mantle at night.  Make sure that's not the problem.  Clams are kinda tough to diagnose.  good luck!!!!
Inspired!!!

quicksilver

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008, 13:44:16 »
i have 4 other clams in the tank at the moment and they are just fine he is my big one and i watch all the time i have not seen snails on him so far. I really would want some one to help me on a fresh water dip i have heard that it is hard and might kill the clam. If any one is willing i will give them a frogspawn frag  ;D I am really scared he will not make it help help help. :(

quicksilver

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 13:45:04 »
I added new carbon and did 30 gallons of water changes over 2 days i could do more if thats the recomendation.

slandis3

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2008, 15:08:36 »
go to http://www.clamsdirect.com/ check out there forum . There is alot of info there on  clams

quicksilver

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2008, 18:10:49 »
hi picture of my clam

quicksilver

« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2008, 18:11:21 »
picture of crocea

slandis3

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2008, 19:10:49 »
I have never been able to keep crocea's. i have 2 maximas and a giguas but bnoth of my crocea's died. Not sure why but i think they are one of the harder to keep clams.

Offline Riderc82

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2008, 19:54:13 »
I'm sure you have already checked but look for aiptasia.

quicksilver

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2008, 20:22:48 »
there is some pests in the tank but none near him.  :'( you can see right throw his intake siphon to the rock not good.

slandis3

« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2008, 20:30:30 »
Check for prymid snails on the bottom of him as well as the rocks next to him.. Also check your idodion ( sp?) levels.

quicksilver

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2008, 21:02:37 »
I dont add idodion and already checked for prymid snails there are none. what do you mean SP levels?

quicksilver

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2008, 21:04:11 »
If any one is in the local area I will give you a nice frag if you help save him and find out whats wrong. Plz I like him so much.  :(

Offline verper

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2008, 21:04:24 »
(sp?)  = spelling error?

Also, if you are seeing rock from inside the mouth of the clam, its all over.  When clams go, they go fast.  Sorry.

quicksilver

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2008, 21:33:37 »
actually he is moving good, and i have seen rock for about 2 days now and he opes and closes still. I think there is time. I need some one to help me find out whats going on I have a nice acropora i baught from just coral hand picked it my self at his house you can have it if you find out whats going on.

slandis3

« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2008, 21:33:42 »
(sp)= not sure if the previous word was spelled correctly. And yes Verper is right if you can see through it it would be best to remove the calm from the tank. I have heard sometimes when one clam goes it cam effect the rest. When ours started to go i pulled it out and put it in a small qt. It was gone the next moring.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 21:37:03 by slandis3 »

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2008, 07:16:52 »
In addition to advise already offered, I think that information about your aquarium & your routine could be helpful in diagnosis. For example, what are your water parameters? What supplements are you using and how often? Water changes, how much and how often,  CA reactor? Calkwasser? - et cetera.

Aside from water parameter issues, Lighting can be a major issue with Crocea clams. They are the most reliant of light  of all the tridacna's as they are indigenous to very shallow water. If this clam has been put into the same circumstances (placement, feeding, light type, et cetera) as the other species you currently have,  it isn't going to do well long term. Compare this to putting and Acro and a mushroom side by side in an aquarium and expecting they both to do well under the same conditions. Neither will die right away but one will eventually because of their radically different requirements. Many (myself included) believe that Crocea will only do well under metal halides. I've done best with them placed up high in the rock close to 175 or 250 watt M/H with a 10K-20K lamp. Others have reported that even 400 watt are the way to go.

Feeding Crocea can be tough as well, they feed only on the finest (smallest) of particle foods which can be a problem with some of the regularly sold filter foods. Home made whisked yeast or live phyto plankton are what some try feeding corcea.

A lot more information could help with trouble shooting this question.

Joel

quicksilver

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2008, 07:44:02 »
I have 2 150w MH and 2 130W accent lights and the tank he came from had the same I just replaced them last night so now they are new. Calcium tested last night was 400 and added more I add Kent marine buy hand as needed. ALK was high around 10 and Ph is usually around 8.4 temp- is 82 Nitrates 0 Nitrites 0 Salinity 1.024 keep the information comming there is still time he opens up still so i am not moving him until he is dead no way. :(

slandis3

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2008, 08:02:41 »
The reason i would move him now is if this turns into pinch mantle i have been told if a clam gets it and dies from it it can spread to other clam in the tank.

quicksilver

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2008, 11:36:48 »
he is attached to a large pice of rock removeing him might kill him. I have seen many pictures of pinched mantel not sure if this is what is wrong but I think its something alts maybe my water if any one has a test kit I will pay them if they come over and fix this.  ;D

quicksilver

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2008, 09:06:50 »
i guess he is going to die dont know what to do he is still alvie if any one cares

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2008, 09:13:44 »
Sorry, but I don't think there's anyone that is an expert with clams on this forum.  We're all hoping for the best, but you really should probably check out Reef Central or another forum with more clam experts.

Good luck!

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2008, 09:56:03 »
Have you tried out any of the advise offered to see if it makes any change? (feeding, better exposure to light, et cetera)

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2008, 11:48:50 »
Have you posted your question over at www.clamsdirect.com as suggested in an earlier post?

quicksilver

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2008, 15:36:04 »
yah i did everything ex. remove him from the tank