2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Bristleworms  (Read 3765 times)

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
Bristleworms
« on: May 20, 2008, 14:21:37 »
How big can these things get I flipped my light on the other night several hours after the tank had been dark and they were everywhere i seen a couple that were 3 inches and one that was huge more like 6 inches+ and a 1/2 inch across.  Will a coral banded shrimp eat them after they get this big or do i have to try to catch them?

Offline Amstar

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Bristleworms
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 14:56:02 »
do 6 line wrasse eat them?

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 16:17:21 »
no I have two six lines one is huge and the other is a normal sized one I think they stay hidden till the six lines go to sleep.  I was thinking of getting a arrow crab or a coral banded and after doing a little reading its going to have to be a coral banded since arrows eat small fish.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2008, 20:46:00 »
They can get to be rather large.  At larger sizes, they can become rather predatory, so removal is best.  The small ones are fine since they are great scavengers.  Make sure you do not have Eunicid worms though!!!  They become rather insanely large.  I found one in some live rock I purchased...he was still small but did some serious damage.

I have a coral banded shrimp that pretty much ate all of my bristleworms.  I'll occasionally find a baby one in the sand, but that's about it.  Now he's moved onto eating my snails (like stomatellas that don't have protection.)  If you're looking to get one, I'm looking to get rid of mine.  PM me if you're interested.  I can't promise he won't eat snails though. 

A good way to control bristleworms is by nutrient export.  They're scavengers usually, so minimize the amount of food they can find by regular water changes, heavy skimming, and no dead zones.

If you want to be up all night with nightmares, here's some fun aquarium worm websites.   ;D

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/short.htm
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-04/rs/index.php

The second link has a blurb on "Max", the 4 foot long Eunicid worm a reefkeeper found in his aquarium.  Heebie jeebies!!!

Maybe I'll do a worm feature in an upcoming newsletter.  :)

Offline Slicktrax

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2008, 22:02:01 »
sounds like an article for you nikki
That one guy who used to be on all the time......

slandis3

« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2008, 22:24:53 »
heres is the worst one i have seen.  on a side note, he had a bad tank crash a year ago or so. im not sure how his tank is doing now.

http://www.oregonreef.com/sub_worm.htm

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2008, 07:04:07 »
That's the link I was looking for!  Yeah, that's "Max", the worm mentioned in my second link. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2008, 08:13:00 »
I have about a foot long Eunicid worm (or at least what i believe to be) in my coral tank sump, pretty creepy but kind of cool too. Sure glad it isn't in the display tank!!!!!

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2008, 08:33:44 »

Nikki's quote;
A good way to control bristleworms is by nutrient export.  They're scavengers usually, so minimize the amount of food they can find by regular water changes, heavy skimming, and no dead zones.

To further Nikki's input; Large populations of bristle worms are often a warning sign or an indicator of the aquariums condition. Typically aquariums with large populations are over fed, under filtered, not maintained properly or any combination there of. In other words, tanks with huge populations are normally need cleaned better. An aquarium can not have a huge population of anything with out there being a lot of matter for said population to sustain itself on. A regular and thorough cleaning of an aquarium with lots of bristle worms will normally make them go away because what is supporting them has been removed, I.E. - they starve and die off. Certainly, trapping them and physically removing them is a good idea, especially the larger ones but if you don't remove what allowed the huge population in the first place, it'll just keep coming back. I know this will raise a few eyebrows but the same can be said for aquariums that have massive populations of isopods and copapods. Yes, they are desirable but if an aquariums has billions of them, what do you think is supporting them?

Joel

Offline pontiac2002gtp

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2008, 10:17:02 »
The ones I have seen appear to be Hermodice carunculata I stayed up late last night to try an get a idea of how many I had in there and there size.  Armed with my little pocket light I counted 11 different worms all were between 2 and 4 inches I didn't see any smaller ones and never seen the great big one.  I'm sure I have been overfeeding my anenomes they keep spitting back out large chunks of undigested shrimp.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2008, 17:27:20 »
Well said Joel!