2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Good or bad?  (Read 2893 times)

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
Good or bad?
« on: March 01, 2009, 22:31:14 »
Okay, if you're reading my other topic I've become overly critical of the tank tonight...  I wanted to ask about another "creature" that I've spotted in the tank...  It's on a rock I got from micki from her fuge, so I would assume they are good, but I've never noticed them until tonight...  I have a picture of a "leg"?  I noticed a leg coming from another portion of the rock too so i don't think it's the same creature.  It looks like a very small brittle star, but my brittle is green and these "legs" are black/white/black...  Any help with whether they are okay or bad I would really apprecaite it.

Thanks,
Mark

UPDATE- You can actually notice 2 of the legs in this 1 shot!  There is the one dead center and then a 2nd if you look upper left...  Again, Good or bad??
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline UD Flyer

• Adult
Re: Good or bad?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 22:55:06 »
It looks to be the legs of some species of a brittle star. Maybe a mini brittle star? If thats what it is they are completely safe and good to have.

Offline UDflyer00

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 23:01:20 »
I hope so... :)  As mentioned, in leiu of the sailfin issue, I was just overlooking things and I had never noticed these legs before...  And having a green brittle I know it couldn't have black/white babies... :O
65 g AGA - Kettering

Offline Logzor

• Juvenile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 23:09:17 »
Those are good critters, cont worry about it. I had lots in my old tank and only one in the new one. He hosts a coral and stays in the same spot all day to catch food.

In the very back center, that could be an aptasia but I can not tell from the pic.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 07:19:29 »
Mark, it's probably a baby stripped brittle star.  I have tons of them in my system.  Every time I prune the fuge I get tons of them in the bucket.  I try to catch them and put them back in.  LOL