2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Fromia Starfish  (Read 2551 times)

Offline jjw2121

• Adult
Fromia Starfish
« on: March 16, 2009, 15:38:28 »
So I got one of these from Aquariums Ect.  It is not really moving much.  It may have moved 3 inches in the last 4 days.  Is this normal?

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
Re: Fromia Starfish
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2009, 15:49:30 »
So I got one of these from Aquariums Ect.  It is not really moving much.  It may have moved 3 inches in the last 4 days.  Is this normal?

I dont think they can be kept in cavity more then a year.
Reefup has experience with them and will probrably chime in.

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Fromia Starfish
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 19:15:40 »
Unfortunately Fromia starfish (as seen in my avatar) are one of those creatures that's stunning, but not suitable for long-term captivity.  They generally starve to death in all but the largest aquariums (300 bare minimum...500g may have a decent chance) within a year.  There isn't a whole lot of knowledge as to what these starfish eat...or why they aren't eating the food source if it's already in our aquariums.  Starvation will show as leg-tissue necrosis...and eventually all the legs will fall off, and the starfish will die.  Sorry to paint such a gloomy picture.

As far as it not moving much, it's hard to say.  It may still be acclimating...or not.  Mine moved around a ton, even when it was dying.  Other than checking all of your parameters, I don't think there's anything you can do for it.  Good luck.