2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: what camera to get  (Read 2929 times)

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
what camera to get
« on: December 20, 2011, 13:25:23 »
My parents are going to Costa rica for 2 weeks in February. They have a bigger bulky camera but would really like a smaller pretty much point and shoot with video camera that still takes good quality photos. Any suggestions? Pricewise, I would prefer not to have to donate my organs to get this!  ;D

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
Re: what camera to get
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2011, 13:35:54 »
You can get a cannon or Nikon point and shoot for less than $150 easily if you shop around. I will be looking into them tax time to replace my wife's which after 5000+ pictures finally quit working. 

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2011, 13:41:47 »
That's my kind of price! Anyone have a specific one of either of these brands?

Offline slandis3

• Lifetime Premium Member
    • Slandiscreations
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2011, 14:41:20 »
I like Cannon but thats because I have a cannon DSLR and love it. My mom runs everything Nikon and loves it. I think both brands are fairly close to each other. I think Kattz is big into the camera thing maybe he will chime in.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2011, 15:11:28 »
I just ordered a cannon power hot SX230HS for $196 with free tomorrow delivery. It also has a GPS with place/time/date tagging. My Mom is 76 and the place/date/time feature will be great for her!

Canon PowerShot SX230HS 12.1 MP Digital Camera with HS SYSTEM and DIGIC 4 Image Processor, 14x optical zoom (Black)
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 15:16:57 by micki »

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2011, 15:13:44 »
I despise sony.......but have a pocket cam that is amazing.  I only bought it after seeing my dads, and one of my sisters did as well.  I'll gave to get the model # when I get home from work.  Not sure it's available anymore as I got it a year ago, but there has to be something similar.

My other camera is a Nikon D50 DSLR.  a little over 10,000 and it's finally ready for it's first maintenance.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2011, 15:22:34 »
Thanks Neo for being willing to check into this. I had no idea my Mom wanted a different camera than her other one until I talked to Dad today. We've been racking our brains trying to figure out what to get parents that don't need anything and buy what they want when they do need/want something! This will be perfect for them since they travel so much and Mom never remembers exactly where or when a picture was taken! Lol

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #7 on: December 20, 2011, 15:40:09 »
The sony I talk about also has the GPS tagging feature.  Has all the modes you could want, including panaroma...which I like to play with, and the time from the press of the button to when the pic actually takes is nice and short.  Clarity is also great, can't remember if it has the zeiss lens or not, but the colors are dead on.  It's by far the best pocket camera I've ever owned.

Offline DarinSchmidt

• darinschmidt@gmail.com
  • The wisest man knows he knows nothing at all.
« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2011, 17:38:18 »
This is a bit technical but if you can find out what cmos chip the camera is running there's a guide that rates the chips. Don't fall for the "ohhhh mine has 730 Mega pixels" thing. If its running a small cmos chip and packing a lot of pixels, the quality will be less than expected than a lower pixel camera with the same cmos chip. Once you get above a certain pixel rating for the size of chip then the colors start to bleed and other technical stuff.

But generally a 8mp camera will suite most needs.

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2011, 18:26:15 »
Darinhere is what it says re CMOS

Canon's HS SYSTEM with a 12.1 MP CMOS and DIGIC 4 Image Processor Full 1080p HD Video for exceptional quality with stereo sound, plus a dedicated movie button for easy access Remember where you were and when your pictures were taken with a GPS tracker that records your location, and a logger Powerful 14x Optical Zoom with Optical Image Stabilizer and a 28mm Wide-Angle lens. Smart AUTO intelligently selects the proper settings for the camera based on 32 predefined shooting situations 12.1 effective megapixels, 1/2.3-inch high-sensitivity CMOS; 14x optical zoom and 4x digital zoom