2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Carbon  (Read 3222 times)

slandis3

Carbon
« on: May 18, 2008, 09:39:13 »
Ok what carbon does everyone run and how do you run it? Is it in a filter sock in your sump? You got it in a reactor? How often should you replace it?

MechanicalEngineer

Re: Carbon
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2008, 09:52:07 »
I run the Kent Reef Carbon 4 days/month in a filter sock.  Any more than that, and it will likely strip your tank of everything.  Some brands you can run longer I think.

Offline MSUJenn

• Juvenile
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2008, 10:35:50 »
I use the Black Diamond Carbon when I think my water looks a little yellow. Usually for a few days every month or two. Sometimes I put it in the media tray of my sump , so the drain water passes through it, and other times I just toss it in my sump ( I know I probably shouldn't do that). I take it out when I don't notice the yellow tint to my water anymore, or when I remember. Eventually, I think I would like to run it through a some sort of a reactor. I hear a lot of people have good luck with using phosphate reactors to run carbon.

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2008, 10:39:38 »
I use Black Diamond in a filter bag and place it in a situation where water has no choice but to flow thru it. I typically replace it every 2- 4 weeks.

Although I agree that carbon may remove some desirable trace elements, it's benefits to the aquarium far out weigh it's harm. Regular water changes & the addition of trace elements more than correct what carbon removes. Having crystal clear water significantly improves light penetration to the corals.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2008, 17:48:36 »
Has anyone tried running carbon in with their PO4 media?

Offline JoeAyers

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 20:09:48 »
Has anyone tried running carbon in with their PO4 media?

I run two reactors in a row. GFO then to Carbon. No real reason other than I can get away with one pump.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 20:27:28 »
I've heard of people mixing GFO and carbon in one reactor. I was wondering if anyone here has done that.

MechanicalEngineer

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 23:09:51 »
I did once, but found that it was just a mess even with the two medias separated in the same reactor since one had to be changed out faster than the other.  I just run carbon in a sock now since it has to be changed so often. 

Offline Joel

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2008, 07:52:42 »
With the very high likelihood that different media or polymers will have different Useful life spans, I would think it would be better to used then separately.