2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 12g nanocube build with DIY moonlight and glass lid  (Read 1640 times)

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
12g nanocube build with DIY moonlight and glass lid
« on: November 28, 2018, 22:45:37 »
I recently put together a 12g JBJ nano that I had sitting in my garage after I came across some free established live rock. It’s a budget build all round. I bought a $60 Aqua Knight 30w LED for my primary lighting on Amazon and plan to just use filter pad/rock for my filtration.

It doesn’t have ramping capabilities so I searched for a moonlight option and didn’t see anything I liked off the shelf. I bought a few $2-3 LEDs off SuperbrightLEDs.com and used a 12v power supply and knob dimmer that I had laying around. I bought blue, red, cool white and UV to experiment with different options and decided to use the UV. The tank is in my bedroom so it's nice to be able to dim the moonlight if i want.

I wanted to use the mounting arm that came with my light but didn't want my fish jumping out and ending up on the floor. My solution was to buy a $4 piece of glass from Home Depot and use a glass cutter to make it custom fit the nano. The curve ended up being really easy and the whole thing only required 2 cuts.

My plan is to keep some GSP (courtesy of Agame) and a bubble tip anenome in it and keep the whole system low maintenance. For stocking, I already have a barbershop high fin goby and plan to add a blenny and clownfish.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2018, 22:52:13 by Heinbaughb »

Offline Agame43

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: 12g nanocube build with DIY moonlight and glass lid
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2018, 17:32:50 »
Nice easy build! GSP lookin great!

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Re: 12g nanocube build with DIY moonlight and glass lid
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2018, 19:05:17 »
Thanks Rick. It’s very easy. I added an ATO as well. I did my first water change on it yesterday. 1.5 gallons.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk