2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: 5min diy MJ mod magnet mount  (Read 2628 times)

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
5min diy MJ mod magnet mount
« on: December 19, 2006, 21:35:13 »
doing two of these mods took me only 5 minutes. i bought 6 1x1x1/4" neo magnets off ebay for $15.

first take the lid off the MJ and the magnet should go about here

then gob a bunch of silicon on the bottom of the magnet and place on the lid, cover the rest of the magnet with silicon so it does not come in contact with the water

put the lid back on and i used a clamp to make sure it didnt undo itself.

and for some reason in the last pic i have the normal mj outlet on it... long story why its like that, but im using this mod for the modded MJ. and lastly another magnet goes on the outside of the tank and its done. i tested it on a 3/8" piece of glass and it worked well... so it will work on my 125... hurray, no more failing suction cups!!!

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
Re: 5min diy MJ mod magnet mount
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2006, 22:08:10 »
Doesn't opening the top expose the inner magnet to potential water damage? Does the magnet for the mount seem to affect the "motor" magnet in any way?

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2006, 22:20:23 »
no, the top pops right off. the actual magnet assembly for the MJ is encased in epoxy. i forgot to add that before i did this, i tested the mj with the magnet off and on it and it didnt affect it at all. i was kinda expecting something to happen.

Offline ohioreef

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Founding Member
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2006, 07:20:47 »
Cool!! I didn't realize that the tops were just snapped on. Now that I think about it, there are 2 drain holes in the top so I guess water wouldn't be an issue.