2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Aquatic Life T5/LED Fixture  (Read 2156 times)

Offline SweetReefOH

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Aquatic Life T5/LED Fixture
« on: February 02, 2019, 20:52:31 »
Does anyone have one of these fixtures? I’m thinking this is probably the best way to add T5 lighting to an LED system. Is there anything better?

https://www.marinedepot.com/Hybrid_T5_Light_48_Inch_Fixture_with_LED_Mounting_System_Aquatic_Life_Aquarium_Lights-AquaticLife-AK01506-FILT-vi.html

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
Re: Aquatic Life T5/LED Fixture
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2019, 21:21:21 »
Seem to only hear good things about them. Really wanted to get one but I don’t think I can fit T-247s in them without the extended brackets and even then there would probably be a lot of light bleed over a 90!  :(

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2019, 21:54:19 »
I’m strongly considering one. I currently use 4 Prime HD’s. I just want to make sure this fixture is the best option.

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2019, 21:58:12 »
Biggest thing you lose is the ability to dim. Not sure if that matters to you. If that’s an issue then you could go retrofits (or maybe dimmable ballasts?) which would be cheaper but not look as sleek.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 22:36:19 »
I would probably still ramp with the Primes and just have the T5’s kick on once the LED’s are almost at peak. And then do the same in reverse for the evening.
Biggest thing you lose is the ability to dim. Not sure if that matters to you. If that’s an issue then you could go retrofits (or maybe dimmable ballasts?) which would be cheaper but not look as sleek.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 23:33:56 »

Jesse, No with the ATI - reviews call out real bad build quality! Check out Giesemann, much better fixture, I am looking at the Giesemann fixture T5 Hybrid with room for LED in in the middle as well. The ATI model does not sound good to me. Do more research, dig into it!

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2019, 23:36:37 »

The Giesemann can accept the Ocean Revive LED that is how wide the center slot is - just at 260mm wide and that is how wide the Ocean LED is actually. Your AI LED's will have no problem.

Good Luck, Keep us posted

Rick

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 08:49:18 »
Thank you my friend! That is why I wanted opinions/suggestions. I will check out the Giesemann.

The Giesemann can accept the Ocean Revive LED that is how wide the center slot is - just at 260mm wide and that is how wide the Ocean LED is actually. Your AI LED's will have no problem.

Good Luck, Keep us posted

Rick

Offline Agame43

• Adult
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 09:04:43 »

Have a look at this video.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2019, 10:22:55 »
Great, honest video Rick. I’m gonna have to debate cost vs each units downfalls. I don’t like that you have to take the whole end plate off to change the bulbs. Plus, as you’ve seen, I don’t know that I have 4’ of space on either side of my setup to get that shield out.
I do like the cords being on the same side and the build quality looks a little more sturdy than the Aquatic life fixture. Decisions, decisions.
Thanks for the input!

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 22:34:00 »
I had the Giesemann Aurora 36" over my 48" long 75g and it was wonderful. Dimmable T5s, moonlight that followed the moon cycle, weather options. Really love the light, I just don't have a use for it right now. I have it for sale, but if it doesn't sell ill probably just save it for my frag tank once my fish room gets up and running.
-Slatts

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2019, 08:57:31 »
That’s a very nice fixture Eslatts. I already have 4 AI Prime HD’s over the 75. Looking to add T5 so I need a retrofit solution.

I had the Giesemann Aurora 36" over my 48" long 75g and it was wonderful. Dimmable T5s, moonlight that followed the moon cycle, weather options. Really love the light, I just don't have a use for it right now. I have it for sale, but if it doesn't sell ill probably just save it for my frag tank once my fish room gets up and running.

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2019, 07:51:30 »
I have the aquatic life fixtures and I’m really happy with them. They will be releasing a dimmable fixture in the near future as well

What size would you be looking to buy? I will be getting rid of my 48” fixture once my new tank arrives.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2019, 11:44:00 »
I have the aquatic life fixtures and I’m really happy with them. They will be releasing a dimmable fixture in the near future as well

What size would you be looking to buy? I will be getting rid of my 48” fixture once my new tank arrives.

Thanks for the review. I am looking to get the 48” for my standard 75g. When is your new tank arriving and how much do you want for it? Also how long have you been running it?

Offline Nbehnken

• Juvenile
« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2019, 19:43:35 »
I’m hoping to have the new tank in about a month. I’ve had the fixture in use for just under a year and modified it so there is only one cord and it comes out of the back of the fixtures. I hate that the stock fixture has a cord out of both ends. I would sell it with the lamps for $250 and realistically could let it go at any time.

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2019, 22:06:51 »
PM sent