2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Advice on lighting?  (Read 1612 times)

Offline SaltwaterTaffy

• Fry
Advice on lighting?
« on: February 17, 2019, 17:20:50 »
Starting a new tank and not sure what lights I should use. It’s a 45g. 48Lx16Wx12H. I’m considering 2 radion xr15s. Thoughts?

Offline ghurlag

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: Advice on lighting?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2019, 17:56:31 »
What do you plan/want to keep?  How comfortable are you with customizing the light spectrum?  There are tons of options out there.

Offline SaltwaterTaffy

• Fry
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 19:18:58 »
I would like to do a sps dominate tank. I currently have a led light fixture I’m not using but I would need to get another. I like the control ability of the radions. Anyone have experience with them?

Offline SaltwaterTaffy

• Fry
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 19:21:19 »
think I should build a hood as well? It’s not a rimless so it may look funky without a hood.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Adult
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 22:11:37 »
lazylivin bought several radion for his system before he moved to his new place.  In speaking with him one visit he told me he wasnt as impressed with them as he expected.  He uses and sells ocean revives and really likes them.  He grows great corals and has really good coloration with lights that are a fraction of the price.  They dont have all the options and adjust ability as the radions.
Jeff

Offline dbjonesjr

• Adult
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 22:18:14 »
I'd second what Jeff said. Radions are definitely nice fixtures but if you don't care for ultimate controllability and are okay with a two channel adjustment for color, then the Ocean Revives are great lights. I'm having good success with them as are many others around here and elsewhere.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 00:51:48 »
Radions have some great features that your coral don’t care about however if you like those features and have the money then go for it. If you have a finite amount of funds to put toward the project then consider ocean revive and put the savings toward those sps you want or some other budget friendly equipment. 

Offline SaltwaterTaffy

• Fry
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2019, 06:13:06 »
Thanks guys.  If I can remember I think I have one of those lights. I got it from waynesville??  I think last time I was at your old house it was on your nano tank?  You had smaller lights on your frag tank.  The one I have is pretty big.

Offline SaltwaterTaffy

• Fry
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 07:10:43 »
I just looked up the ocean revive, they are $180 on Amazon. Can you link 2 together?

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2019, 08:17:09 »
I just looked up the ocean revive, they are $180 on Amazon. Can you link 2 together?

They don't link together although you can control the white and blue channels independently and they also have timers for each that you can set so they operate in unison. You should buy them from Lazy's Coral House and support your local reef community  :be happy:

Offline SweetReefOH

• Adult
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2019, 12:04:16 »
Another good option is AI Prime HD pucks. They are just as controllable as the Radions but they are a fraction of the cost. AND they are WiFi capable without having to buy another piece of equipment.

Offline zachegg

• Juvenile
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2019, 15:57:57 »
Another good option is AI Prime HD pucks. They are just as controllable as the Radions but they are a fraction of the cost. AND they are WiFi capable without having to buy another piece of equipment.

On a tank that size you would probably need two hydra 26’s or maybe a couple 52’s. I have a 48 inch tank and I run two 52’s. If the op is going SPS dominate then they would need some power. Personally if I hadn’t bought a complete set up that came with two 52’s I would be running ocean revives.

Offline eslatts11

• Fry
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2019, 03:03:41 »
Following along. I myself have been contemplating all the lighting options for my future 180g. After seeing Lazy's Ocean Revives at the club meeting, seems like a very safe bet and at a great price point!
-Slatts

Offline Heinbaughb

• Adult
Advice on lighting?
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2019, 23:37:20 »
Being only 12 inches deep, I would think most LEDs would be plenty powerful. I have the ocean revives but do wish they were more controllable. A couple Kessil a360x would work and you could mount them fairly low with their wide angle lenses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk