2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: #$% always QT - what to do for ich treatment?  (Read 7701 times)

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
Re: #$% always QT - what to do for ich treatment?
« Reply #25 on: February 15, 2012, 22:02:40 »
Viggen you'll want something more accurate than a hydrometer....not trying to sell you on a premium membership but the club has a very nice salinty meter super easy to use and very accurate...

hope the fish turn around without needing hypo
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline Reefinmike

• was Illnino
« Reply #26 on: February 15, 2012, 22:04:04 »
Gerbers should have a bunch of 55's for around $50 a pop. Or try to convince all the people on craigslist that the 55 setup they invested "over $500 less than a year ago" is worth about $75

Offline Viggen

« Reply #27 on: February 15, 2012, 22:33:15 »
That no ich stuff is just temporary.... it was $45 for a bottle.... one bottle treats 980 ish gallons but it doesn't state for how long.  I get two doses out of the bottle & from what I read I could need a few weeks of doses then additional doses every other day.  Depending on how bad the ich is 1-2 doses a day are suggested at first.... ugh

Thus it looks like hypo is the way to go..... I think just keeping everyone in the tank minus the inverts is going to be the best/easiest way to go.  I think it's been 2-3 years since I was a prem. member but yea, looks like I should pony up again. 

Gerbers is close so I might stop by there to see what they have.  Aq Spec I think is 45 or so minutes away.... not going to have the time to drive up there :(
300g tub o fish

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #28 on: February 16, 2012, 05:06:50 »
If you need a 55g tank, let me know. I have one that is fishroom quality with  a stand for $60. it is not RR but it will do for what you need. It isnt all scratched up, i just say fishroom quality because it has a spot in the top rim that somone knotched out for a filter, it doesnt effect it at all except the tops sit kind of funny, but if you run it topless youll never tell the difference. lol

Offline Viggen

« Reply #29 on: February 16, 2012, 09:49:50 »
thanks..... what type of stand?  I want a metal stand so I can use two 55's? 

I do not care how it looks.... but I have to ask the wife.... it does bother her
300g tub o fish

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #30 on: February 16, 2012, 23:40:44 »
It has a compressed wood stand (Black) with two doors. it is a short stand maybe 2 1/2'or so. I have one on a metal stand too, but you cant fit two 55's on it.

Offline jeblin

• Adult
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2012, 08:15:49 »
If you're just going to use it temporarily, I'd buy some 2x4's and throw a temporary stand together so you can have one 55 above a second 55. You don't have to worry about framing it out all nice and neat if you're only using it for this treatment. However, if its not temporary, then you really don't want to do that ;-)

Jerry

Offline Viggen

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 18:01:05 »
So far this is what I have lost :(

Hep tang
Flame Angel
Bi-Color Angel
Male Blonde Naso

Hopefully I can get a salinity tester soon so I can start hypo treatment.  My QT is finally setup, purchased a 38g & metal stand.... tossed a bunch of rocks in there & as many snails + crabs that I could grab.  Tomorrow I hope to do another water change to drop the salinity as low as my el-cheapo salinity tester will let me go.

Alive are the following
NAso
Sargassum Trigger
Aussie HArlequin Tusk
Starry Blenny
Kole Tang
MAroon clown pair
300g tub o fish

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 00:32:59 »
I am amazed that the Kole and Naso made it.    Sorry you lost the 4 fish.  It sucks.

Offline Pencilfish

• Fry
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2012, 18:55:41 »
Understand what you are going through.    We are doing the hypo right now.  Pulled all fish from our 90gal and put them in qt.  Our long nose butterfly was the only one that showed signs of ick.  During treatment he showed signs of improvement but withen a few days developed finrot and went belly up.  All other fish have yet to show any signs of ick or any other issues.  We had the butterfly more than a month but I am thinking maybe the fish had more issues that we did not catch.

Offline CoralBeauties

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2012, 21:30:39 »
Gary
  I had this happen to me several years ago when I was working on the tank and forgot to plug my heater back in.  By mourning the tank was down to 72 deg and every fish I had in the tank was covered in ick.  Lost them all.  It was a bad feeling that I knew my stupidity caused it all.  Lost a yellow tang that I had had for close to 12 years.  I think alot of us have probably been through this.
Any updates on how the treatment is going?
Jeff

Offline Viggen

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2012, 23:34:53 »
everything is dead except for my pair of maroon clowns... my guess is their anemone saved their life.  They are in a 38g with some LR........ for probably 2 months

That no-ich crap just sucks... $90 down the tube.... I hoped it would buy me some time but it just prolonged their death by probably a few days.  I have been under the weather plus busy at work, didn't have the time to catch the fish which was a BIG mistake.  Live & learn I guess......

Looking for a 6ft tank of some type with a stand.... going to set it up as a QT tank so hopefully I can order some fish in 2-3 weeks then keep them in QT for another month + before they are added to the main tank
300g tub o fish

Offline Sunny

• Adult
« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2012, 23:40:11 »
I'm so sorry for your loss. 

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2012, 07:50:48 »
That is crappy.   I would give your display tank 8 weeks before putting a fish back in it, the ich needs a host to survive, but depending on where it is at in the life cycle.    As for the clowns, they are a resilient fish.   I have a pair in my QT tank there to keep other fish company when in QT.   My last tang that was in there exploded with ich, and the clowns look like they had fur......but they have survived and have cleaned up in Hyposalinity.

I'm really trying to decide the best way to get fish healthy and ich free.   Right now I think my best plan is to do hypo along with a UV sterilizer.   I've had ich survive past 6 weeks of hypo at 1.009.

Offline HUNGER

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2012, 08:16:22 »
man that sticks sorry to hear that
SIZE DOES MATTER

Offline The WuSue

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2012, 08:58:06 »
Sorry to hear that...

Offline micki

• Best mamaw Reefer!!!
  • My munchkins! :)
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2012, 09:00:35 »
Bummer, sorry Gary...

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2012, 09:02:59 »
Wall_Tank
 i am thinking i read somewere a while back that any UV under 75W wouldn't be effective for any parasites that lived on saltwater fish. not saying it's true. just wondering if any one has heard or read anything similiar. that could be little pricey to get,run an replace bulbs. but on other hand could potentially save alot of money & hassle. assume you would still QT before adding to DT  ?   

Offline buckeyereefer

• Adult
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2012, 09:04:05 »
oops !!  seen were you said hypo AND UV.

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2012, 09:32:24 »
Sorry for your losses. This is what scares my about having a sw tank.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #45 on: February 23, 2012, 09:35:15 »
I think I will be waiting 60+ days.... chatting with boonjob he mentioned 60-75 days the parasite can live.  I figure I will hook up my UV stuff (80w + 40w) I have been meaning to use & also hook up the ozone stuff I snagged.....

I hope to find a 6ft tank to setup as QT.  I think I will set it up at work with a extra wet/dry filter which will let me keep the fish in QT for a month and also if I have issues in the future I can cram everyone in that tank if needed. Just need to find a reef ready 150-180g

& thanks everyone....
300g tub o fish

Offline Viggen

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 19:53:39 »
looks like about 50 days's into my fishless tank time, ugh.....

I didn't add UV to the tank, it's just running fishless....

Hopefully in another 2-3 weeks putting the clowns back in the main tank will turn out OK.... 
300g tub o fish

Offline Twizted1

• Adult
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 20:01:39 »
When you get your qt set up, are you going to treat every new fish as if they had problems? If so what do you plan on using? Just wondering.

Offline Viggen

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 20:57:31 »
Yes.... every new fish will go through some QT time.  I did snag a 150g that I will use for QT.... I think I will just set it up in my garage since my house doesn't have any room & I plan on getting fish this summer......

Tank will be old-school.... wet/dry filter
300g tub o fish

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 08:24:36 »
What kind of treatment are you doing in your QT for ich that you clowns are currently in?