2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: (vodka and vinegar)green hair algae problem  (Read 3102 times)

Offline TheNewTrend

• Sink-or-Swim
  • Fry
(vodka and vinegar)green hair algae problem
« on: November 20, 2012, 15:50:34 »
I have a green hair algae problem that is driving me crazy. The tests show the nitrates and phosphates are ok, but still I have algae. I have herd about the Vodka and Vinegar Method . It is actually just that, adding Vodka and Vinegar to the tank to increase the population of probiotic bacteria to fight algae growth.

Just curious if any club members have tried this. I am getting desparate! I added some snails to the tank last week andI did a water change to help get rid of the algae. I siphoned out all that I could. .I cut back the time that the halides are on by two hours. I have phos gard in the sump.  Any other suggestions?  how much to start with and when to in crease and all that. I have a 40 gallon DT and a 40 gallon sump and two clown fish..

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
Re: (vodka and vinegar)green hair algae problem
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2012, 16:03:22 »
Do you have any hermit crabs? May consider a lawnmower blenny. And do you have a protein skimmer?

Offline TheNewTrend

• Sink-or-Swim
  • Fry
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2012, 16:15:52 »
yes i have  hermit crabs and a AquaC EV-180 skimmer. The hermit crabs are eating the algae but cant keep up with it

Offline Boonjob

• Reefkeeping: Go Broke or Go Home
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2012, 16:21:46 »
How old is your Tank? Isn't it new?

The GHA is eating your Nitrates and Phosphates, which why you are not getting a reading on them, but they are clearly there.
God is great, Beer is good, and People are crazy...

Life is a beach, I'm just playing in the sand.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/boonjob-s-reef-tank

Offline TheNewTrend

• Sink-or-Swim
  • Fry
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2012, 16:27:24 »
They are used tanks not sure if that matters but have been up and running now for about two month

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2012, 16:30:05 »
Do you use RODI water? ANd how much are you feeding your fish?

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 16:34:41 »
I wasn't refering to the glass tanks them selfs but rather, just the 2 month mark of how long they have been running...

GHA 2 months in IS quite normal... The system is balancing itself... it will only be ugly for a few months....

If this was a Mature system, then I would recommend more action... Vodka dosing is done by several members here, and to good affect, though I personally would discourage you to jumping to that right away, just stick with your normal water changes and let your tank cycle. It's going to change alot in the next 6-8 months...

Steve is right, make sure you use RO/DI, and don't over feed, but don't stop feeding just cause of the GHA 2 months in.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 16:40:14 »
Sea Hare's will demolish the GHA.    I agree with Steve, try to find the source first.   IF the tank was dirty when you bought it, the most likely answer is that the live rock is saturated with Phosphates.

But to answer your question Vodka dosing works.   I used a Vodka/Vinegar solution.   Very easy to do, it just requires daily doses.    This will not be an overnight process.......if your tank is as bad as it sounds.   It will probably take a couple of months of dosing to get straightened out........    For those that don't like the daily regiment.    Biopellets are carbon dosing solution.     If you want more information on Vodka, I can dig up a few links.

Offline TheNewTrend

• Sink-or-Swim
  • Fry
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2012, 16:43:49 »
Do you use RODI water? ANd how much are you feeding your fish?

Yes I use RO/DI water.

Feed my 2 clown fish twice a day froze brine shrimp and they do not let anything go to waste

Not sure what to do ..Cant leave the lights of as someone else told me because i have a few soft corals

Offline Boonjob

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2012, 16:49:50 »
Just to be clear...? You started the Tank just 2 months ago, as in new material Correct? Or was this an existing setup(live rock,water,fish, etc) that you just moved to your house from someone's elses?

Was the live rock previously used or was it dry but not cleaned?

Offline TheNewTrend

• Sink-or-Swim
  • Fry
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 16:52:52 »
Thank you guys for the info and i will keep up on my water changes and give it 2 more month and if no change will get back with you guys..Thanks

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2012, 20:33:07 »
Ya...don't jump into vodka dosing on a new tank.  It's only asking for problems as it's not a simple task.  I suggest just as boon and Steve have, make sure you using 0 TDS ro/di water, and you can up the frequency and size of your water changes to help rid yourself of the nitrates.  One you take care of that issue the algae will go away.