2024 Ohio Reef Frag Swap

2024 flyer

Author Topic: Acan detoriation  (Read 4705 times)

Offline Neogenesis

Acan detoriation
« on: March 28, 2013, 10:28:21 »
Has anyone seen anything like this?  I've never had a acan look like this before, it's been in my tank over a year.....almost looks like something is pick at or eating it.  I moved it to my frag tank last night and elevated it so my crabs can't get to it....just kinda stumped on this one.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Offline volcano

Re: Acan detoriation
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2013, 10:40:20 »
Wow that is strange.  Acans are usually very hardy and can thrive in the dirtiest water.  It does look like something is eating it.  What kind of crabs do you have?  Also, any fish in there like butterflies or angles?  I had a flame angle picking on my acans.  The acans closed up, I removed the angle, and right away the acans opened back up. 

johnnymu

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2013, 11:02:48 »
Looks like brown jelly disease. Take out of tank asap or it will spread

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2013, 11:11:55 »
Tank mates:

Yellow Tang
Copperband Butterfly
Bellus Angel "Reef Safe"
Blue Hippo Tang
Sunburst Anthias
Yahsa Goby
Blonde Naso Tang
Cryptic Six Line Wrasse

Right now I would tend to blame the copperband, but I've not seen any other corals nipped or chewed on.

jonnymu - what's brown jelly disease?  Never heard of it.....

As of the now the acan is in my frag tank with no other acans.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2013, 11:14:04 »
I should also add that all my acans have been in the tank for over 6 months....every other acan in my system is ok so far.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 11:26:01 by Neogenesis »

Offline volcano

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 11:25:04 »

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 11:26:36 »
Did a little reading on brown jelly, which is really just a worm that will eat the flesh if they aren't getting enough food from other sources.  I'll dip it tonight and see if anything comes off it.  I'm rather doubtful that is the problem due to the amount of the time it's been in my tank, it's grown in my tank, and I don't direct feed my acans. I also don't see any brown goo coming off it.   Fingers crossed I can being it back as it's a gorgeous piece.

Thanks guys!!!!

Offline itsalifestyle

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 11:30:45 »
I had the same problem last years with scans doing great then this started I dipped coral and move to another area of tank and it stop never came up with a reasons

Offline volcano

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2013, 11:35:28 »
Did a little reading on brown jelly, which is really just a worm that will eat the flesh if they aren't getting enough food from other sources.  I'll dip it tonight and see if anything comes off it.  I'm rather doubtful that is the problem due to the amount of the time it's been in my tank, it's grown in my tank, and I don't direct feed my acans. I also don't see any brown goo coming off it.   Fingers crossed I can being it back as it's a gorgeous piece.

Thanks guys!!!!

I was reading too and it seems if you hardly feed them, then the worms may not be your issue.  Apparently, the worms will eat the tissue of the acans that are not fed as much.  They say acans that are target fed will do better and not be effected as much by the worms.  Your post makes me nervous because my acans are top on my favorites list. 

As I recall, when I picked up my acan frags, they were small, and a few had the skeleton showing.  The appeared to be similar to yours.  I dipped them, nothing came out, and they have quadrupled in size in my tank.

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2013, 12:17:42 »
Definitely looks like brown jelly disease. It is a bacteria that will take it overnight. I would throw it out or do a h202 bath. 20% h202 80% tank water. It is a long shot and may kill it but that is one nasty bacteria infection.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2013, 13:48:30 »
I hope it's not, it's been a 3 days so far, and I've seen no slime like what I read about with the brown jelly stuff, and progression hasn't been super fast.  I'll see what it looks like when I get home after work,  If there is more deterioration, then I'm worried, if it's stopped, I'm blaming fish.  I've got lugols I'll try to dip with if it appears to be progressing.

Another interesting side note, one of my chalices got moved about 8" across my tank and was gone before I found it.  If it is a fish, I guess it's possible that they were picking on it before the acan.

Offline Wall_Tank

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2013, 15:24:47 »
You sure the acan didn't get pounded by a nasty chalice?

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2013, 15:45:35 »
The chalice that was lost was only the size of a nickle, and found about 8" from where the acan was.  Is it possible something picked it up and dropped it on top the acan.....possible.....but a long shot.  There is nothing else around that could sting it.  I'm still kind of leaning towards my copperband.......as I don't see him actively feeding, and very very few aiptasia have disappeared in the tank, so I'm not sure what he's surviving on.  Anyways....will update tonight when I get a good look at it.

Offline cbenner

• Juvenile
Acan detoriation
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2013, 16:46:37 »
You sure the acan didn't get pounded by a nasty chalice?

+1 Paul. I always figure it's another coral eating it first.  Chalices are deadly critters.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2013, 16:52:59 »
I would agree if there were any close.   The only thing close enough to sting would have been a fungia.... Which don't have sweepers.  Even then it doean't appear stung.... Never seen dissolving flesh.... Juse bare skeleton.    Hmmmm.... The mysteries of reefing.

johnnymu

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2013, 17:49:57 »
I would agree if there were any close.   The only thing close enough to sting would have been a fungia.... Which don't have sweepers.  Even then it doean't appear stung.... Never seen dissolving flesh.... Juse bare skeleton.    Hmmmm.... The mysteries of reefing.

Take a turkey baster and blow the flesh and see if it easily falls off. If it is brown Jelly, you will see the dissolving then.
Copperband can eat acans

Offline Steve

• Lifetime Premium Member
  • Adult
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2013, 18:59:43 »
Acan is the only coral besides GSP that I have ever seen my CBB pick at, but never to the degree of yours. I have also read of Blue Hippos being coral eaters some time.

Offline Neogenesis

« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2013, 19:28:39 »
Ok...got home....there was a little more damage, but I'm pretty sure it was damaged heads from yesterday that deteriorated.  So.....I fired up a dip of lugols, dipped and let it sit to make sure any pests on the frag were dead.  Took it out, put it in clean water and shook to see what came off.  All I found were a few baby snails and pods.  I saw no worms of any kind, and no brown or dissolved flesh of any kind.  So......unless anyone has another idea, I guess it's sit and wait to see what happens tonight.  Hopefully some of the polyps on the side make it.

In the dip pre-shake

Offline lazylivin

• Administrator
  • Adult
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2013, 20:47:22 »
Close to 100% it is brown jelly bacteria. Toss it or do the h202 dip so it doesn't spread

Offline volcano

« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2013, 21:14:47 »
That stinks.  I love acans, now I am paranoid of brown jelly disease.  Probably should toss it to be safe.

Offline discus513

• Adult
    • Cincinnati Club (C.A.R.E.)
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2013, 06:12:03 »
I lost a beautiful White with red center acans this way, this brings back bad memories, it looked just like that, but this was after I dosed flatworm exit, and that was the only thing I lost in my tank. In my opinion once its that far gone, you have two choices, either try to cut frags and save what you can, or toss it out because its not going to make it. This sucks man!

Offline volcano

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2013, 08:38:21 »
Close to 100% it is brown jelly bacteria. Toss it or do the h202 dip so it doesn't spread

Brian, when you say H2O2, what strength do you recommend?  I have 29% H202 and if you get that on your skin it will fry it and bleach it totally white.  I am assuming that is far to strong?

Offline joncat24

• Adult
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2013, 08:56:13 »
The 3% mixed 50/50 with water is what a lot of folks do.
John

Offline volcano

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2013, 09:52:43 »
Okay, thanks.  I figured 29% would fry any of the coral.